[Solved] Note grouping/beaming problem - Big Band.

Hello to all,

I am experiencing difficulty with obtaining the [correct] appearance of a couple of bars in a big band number I’m resetting into Dorico. The piece is ‘String of Pearls’ (Glenn Miller) and the specific bars I’m having problems with are in the pics I’ve attached. I have gone through so many combinations of ‘note groupings’ and ‘beaming’ options that I’m now totally confused to know what I need to do to resolve the issue. One thing I have noticed is that depending if the meter is in 4/4 I get one result but if I use the correct meter of cut common, I get another (which is even worse). One pic is the Sibelius version (which I am striving to achieve the look of) and the other is the Dorico version.

I get so far (unbeamed) but in the main it’s when I apply the ties that it all goes south.

It may be that the note display/beaming convention that I need is not normal ‘classical’ convention that I’m having trouble. As there are so many parameters to choose from I doubt it. Unfortunately my brain is now so frazzled after many hours trying to resolve this, I can only assume that Dorico can’t do it or I simply can’t see ‘the wood for the trees’.

BTW. I’ve noticed there’s no cut-common option or even a reference to it in the Beam Grouping or Note Grouping options.

Can anyone help please; does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks.

Dave
Beaming-Sibelius.jpg

Hi TopDots,
Here’s my result with Dorico :

I used force duration to enter the half note and had to go in Engrave mode to adjust the beaming of the first beat of the second bar (the only way to select a single note inside a tie chain).
For the first slur, I had to adjust in the properties panel “End slur in the first note of a tie chain”.

Hope it helps !
Capture d’écran 2018-06-30 à 19.27.47.png

Marc,

Thanks so much for sorting this. By your explaination, it seems it wasn’t quite as straight forward as most thing are. Now I know there is a solution, I’ll follow your steps accordingly and hopefully I’ll get the same result.

Thanks

Dave

Please keep asking if you don’t manage to get it right :wink:
In fact, I think that there’s still room for some improvement with syncopes — the team are aware of it, and it looks like it will be possible, in due time, to force duration “afterwards”. By now, you have to re-write the notes you want to force. And there might be some improvement also on ¢ meters.

Hi Marc,

Well, I’ve managed to get a lot further (thanks to you) than I did before however there remains one problem…

BTW. There is no slur between the first two quavers (Eb and Ab) in the first bar (I’m in the key of Ab), it’s the way Sib draws a sax scoop or bend up. The updated Dorico shows it clearer.

The problem I still have is that (First bar) although I have forced duration on the minum Ab, as soon as I apply the tie (from the Ab quaver in the first beat to the minim) it redraws once again.

Soooo close… Aarrggghhhhhh!!

Workaround: I used a Laissez vibrer tie to create the look of the tie between the notes. Wouls still like to know the correct way of doing it though.

Regards

Dave

I’m able to reproduce your Sibelius expample exactly in Dorico. Make sure you switched on “fore duration” for all notes of the tie chain – that is for the first quaver Ab, the minim Ab and the next quaver Ab.

Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you for your assistance. I believed I have tried that already (the notes are all highlighted and the force duration is lit) but it’s when I tie that first quaver to the minim… It just doesn’t work (for me).

Dave

Update: Got it!! Thank you Marc and Thomas

If 4/4 gives you a better result, it might save you some time by inserting a hidden 4/4 meter in the second bar.

Dear TopDots,
If you read carefully again the #4 post, you’ll see you have to re-write ALL the notes involved… Hence the need for the force duration “afterwards”, which would be a great time saver.