[Solved] Several Issues and camera not working

Hi there,

I’ve been thinking about a way to write this down plain and simple, chosing the words carefully: VST Connect (SE or Pro) does not work.

First, I tried the SE version. It behaved weird, but I thought that it was a issue with the quality of the Internet connection.Then I tried the PRO version, and it worked as bad as SE, even in a local network.

This is the list of issues that I’ve found:

• Out of sync. Using the provided template, it does not record in sync.
  • Buffer problems.
  • VST Connect plugin lag my DAW response, even with 3 tracks and two plugins.
  • Webcam not supported. I have a Creative with full support for Mac. It works PERFECTLY with Facetime, etc. VST Connect/Performer detects it but can’t use.
  • Performer can’t load most of plugins. The list of plugins is minimal and I can’t load most of my VSTs.
  • Can’t reconnect to an ID. You have to logout and login again to get a new working ID.
  • Cryptic setup.

I think it’s a great idea, if it works…

Well that’s plain simply not true, at least on very many systems and configurations that we and many users have tested and worked with. So some sort of detail is required so that we can help you. The two of your systems would be the least information to have, along with what exactly happens (how much off are recordings). Also make sure “Constrain Latency Compensation” is turned off in Cubase/Nuendo.

What you mean?

If you refer to the delay when starting transport, that is inherent in the VST Connect system. You can set the Remote Delay in the VST Connect plugins’ settings. Inside the local network (PRO version only) you can try to lower this value. Then transport will start faster. As long as the 2 bars indicating buffer fill are happy, you can reduce it (default is 1 second, I always have it at 0.75 which works for me in any case even when connected to New Zealand, and nobody so far has complained about this small delay which is the cost to pay for the technology to work sample-accurately and reliably).

So please let us know the model so that we can check it.

Again pls let us know which ones don’t work so that we can check it.

The performer can reconnect as long as the engineer stays logged in. When the engineer logs out and in again, he is given a new key, that’s by design (and like other collaboration systems do it), and it makes sense when you think about it.

ok…we’re very happy for any suggestions how to improve!

It does, and it does so for an ever growing amount of users, so let’s know how we can help you to get the idea into a working environment :slight_smile:

Hi Musi,

First, thanks a lot for answering. This is a key technology for my next projects and it’s driving me crazy.

Answering your questions:

My test machines:

• MacBook Air 2012, using the internal soundcard, connect thru Wi-Fi (N) to a Apple Airport Express, wired to a router.
  • MacPro 3,1, using a RME, connected to a Switch and, then, to a router.

Antonio Escobar wrote:- Buffer problems.
What you mean?

Glitches in the audio recording.

Antonio Escobar wrote:- Webcam not supported. I have a Creative with full support for Mac. It works PERFECTLY with Facetime, etc. VST Connect/Performer detects it but can’t use.
So please let us know the model so that we can check it.

Creative Live! Cam Sync HD, model ID VF0770. It’s shown in the video menu, but it does not show any image.

Antonio Escobar wrote:- Performer can’t load most of plugins. The list of plugins is minimal and I can’t load most of my VSTs.
Again pls let us know which ones don’t work so that we can check it.

I found what it’s wrong.
In VST2, If I choose the main VST directory, /Library/Audio/VSTPlugins, it only shows 12 plugins and it does not filter the FX. it should show the full list and it should filter out FX. Furthermore, VST Performer crashes when add and delete paths to VST folders in certain circunstances.

In VST3, it only shows the first 11 plugins.

Antonio Escobar wrote:- Cryptic setup.
ok…we’re very happy for any suggestions how to improve!

Rethinking about that, I think that the problem is that the semi-transparent layer makes it confusing, so, for me, it’s a problem with the GUI.
I know that GUI design is matter of taste and I like more refined GUIs. In this case, GUI usability could be improved, but it a small concern if the plugin works.

I’m going to give it try (again), checking carefully everything and I’ll post my tests. Honestly, for me, VST Connect SE/PRO is THE FEATURE, and if I make it work if will be groundbreaking for my workflow.

Thanks in advance for your support :slight_smile:

Best,

WLAN can be a problem but in most cases it works fine. You may have to raise said Remote Latency when this causes dropouts; you should be able to spot these cases when the buffer bars go emty or red.
Which computer runs cubase and which runs the Performer application? OS Version?

Same suggestion, try to raise “Remote Latency”. It might also be that you have “ASIO Guard” activated in Cubase, don’t.

We’ll get one and check what might be wrong.

Yes, there is a bug which prevents the scrollbar to be shown correctly, it will be fixed with the next release.
When you add a path and it crashes, that means that a plugin in that path was opened and crashed.
My colleague will comment on this soon. For now I recommend to create a directory with the plugins that you want to use with the Performer (and which don’t crash) and add this as the only path.

We’ll try to make it clearer.

Thank you and good luck!

Yes, give us some time, please. But you are able to use the Built-In camera, right?

Yes, you will see all available plugs with the upcoming release. Currently, the app is not filtering instruments and FX in a classical way. Only examined plugs which are instruments will be available in the “VST Instruments” context menu. The possibility of filtering all available plugs (and to remove FX) would only be given, if the app would load all (and new) plug-ins in its starting time. But during that scan progress many problems could occur and result in an app crash. And don’t forget there are users who don’t want to wait until all plug-ins are loaded and scanned.
We could add an “Examine all” button to the VST2/VST3 Manager tab and finally filter their types after that progress? Could that be an option?

See you,
Michael.

Hi Michael and Musi,

Finally, VST Connect is working in my local network! Tomorrow I’m going to try it over the Internet. The main problem was the ASIO Guard option.

Yes, give us some time, please. But you are able to use the Built-In camera, right?

My Mac Pro don’t have Built-In camera, in fact, I bough that Creative cam only to be used with VST Connect.

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Everything worked great even over the Internet. It’s a pitty that the Creative Live! Cam, a UVC standard webcam, is not working, but everything else worked as expected.

Thanks for the support.

Great that it finally worked out for you!
We have ordered a webcam model same as yours to check against and will let you know about the outcome.
We’re also trying to resolve the ASIO Guard issue, but that’s a tricky one. For now, once more the advice to switch it off when using VST Connect.

Hi,

We’ve fixed the problem with your camera. The fix will be included in the next update.

Thanx,
Michael.

Great! Looking forward to it :slight_smile: