[SOLVED] SL9 and SL10 both faulting in Qt6OpenGLDF.dll on fresh Win 11

I’m moving some stuff to a newly-installed Windows 11 23H2 PC. The first application installed was SL9 but it crashes on opening any file (have tried .wav, .flac and .mp3). I then installed SL10 but it is exactly the same fault:

Faulting module name: Qt6OpenGLDF.dll, version 6.2.2.0

I can’t find any reference to this DLL, but I’m guessing it’s graphics-related. I haven’t yet installed any NVIDIA drivers but still have only the “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. Is this the cause?

I am trying to determine what is the minimum NVIDA driver I can get away with, in an effort to minimise DPC latency.

Yes, very likely.

OK, what I’ve found out in the meantime is that SL seems to require an OpenGL driver and the “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” (understandably) does not contain one.

I installed the minimal NVIDIA driver and the result was instant DPC latency spikes. While this would not necessarily be a problem for SL, I need this PC to be suitable for realtime audio to run Cubase.

In the end, I found a utility that removes all vestiges of graphics drivers: DDU (thanks, gamers!). I ran this to remove everything it could find, then, following the reboot, installed the minimal NVIDIA driver – graphics driver only.

I also disabled the “HD Audio” device in Device Manager (this is the speaker in the monitor) and did not install any driver for it.

DPC latency is now consistently good and SL9 and SL10 are both working fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I wasn’t aware of this DPC latency.
In the future (probably SpectraLayers 12) this dependency on OpenGL will likely be removed to only depend on DirectX, which is native to Windows.

1 Like