[Solved] What to install - Dorico

Hi,

I am about to install Dorico 2.2.20 on my new Mac.
I have downloaded these files:
Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac
HALionSonicSE_for_Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac
HALion_Symphonic_Orchestra_Installer_mac.
So far so good :slight_smile:.

Obviously I need to install the “Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac”.
Do I need to install booth the “HALionSonicSE_for_Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac” and the “HALion_Symphonic_Orchestra_Installer_mac” as well?
Or is it sufficient if I only install the “HALion_Symphonic_Orchestra_Installer_mac”? Or?

Best
Stef.

Hi !
I’d say you should install all files, since you’re not updating an already installed app (that’s the feeling I get when I read your post). HSSE is more recent than HSO, and I think the sounds are not the same. You’d need both to get all the sounds bundled with Dorico (unless you don’t use them, because you’ve got better VSTi). My 2 c.

Marc,
Thank you.

I am on Catalina 10.15.6.
The installation of “Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac” was OK.

However, running the “HALionSonicSE_for_Dorico_2.2.20_Installer_mac"gives this error:
“HALionSonicSE.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.”
“This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.”

Running the “HALion_Symphonic_Orchestra_Installer_mac” gave even more "troubles.
I had to force quit the installer. BTW, I am on Mac for 25+ year and I never had this error…

Note: I have a brand new very powerful Mac, fresh installation.

What is wrong?

Best
Stef.

Well…reading deeper the forum, it looks that Dorico 2.2.20 is NOT compatible with Catalina, so I guess booth the HSSE and HSO are neither.
…my mistake not checking the compatibility…

So, I have just purchased Dorico 3.5.

Now, my "remaining question is: shall I uninstall Dorico 2.2.20 before installing Dorico 3.5?
Intermezzo question: how to uninstall it?

Just drag the application from the dock (or Applications folder) to the Trash.

Download everything in the Dorico Pro 3.5 section of the Steinberg Download Assistant and run them all, one after the other. HALion won’t install multiple copies of itself - it’ll merge or replace existing content in the most safe-saving way.

You can overcome Apple’s maternal instincts by right-clicking on the .pkg file, and hold down Command when clicking on Open.

Whilst I agree that your best policy is to upgrade to Dorico 3.5.1 (so many new features!), it’s worth knowing this step for other apps.

pianoleo,
Thanks!

Just to be sure, please be with me.
Dorico 2 is removed.

I have downloaded & installed:
“Dorico_3.5.10_Installer_mac” and installed it - installation went fine :slight_smile:.
and
“HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_mac” - this installation went also fine :slight_smile: :slight_smile:.

Is this all what I need?

That’s all you need, yes. It’s mighty sensible to download the Version History document while you’re there, as it documents a lot of changes that haven’t yet made it into the online (or PDF) manual, but you can always access that from a web browser anyway: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Dorico_3.5/3.5.10/Dorico_3.5.10_Version_History.pdf

pianoleo,
Thanks!
The Version History is with me, too :slight_smile:.