"Some audio files are missing. Please check installation"

I have just purchased and installed Dorico Elements 3 (3.1.10.1032). When I attempt to open the first built in project, I see a message (see attached screenshot) with the text “Some audio files are missing. Please check installation.” The dialog box is labelled “HALion Sonic SE”.

I would appreciate some assistance in troubleshooting this problem.

Peter

Welcome to the forum. Have you also downloaded and installed the “Dorico Elements 3 Sound Installer” package? It’s about 3 GByte and contains all the sound files that Dorico needs for playback.

Hi Ulf, I did run it when I first installed the program (twice, actually), and it appeared to finish successfully each time.

However, prompted by your speedy reply (for which I thank you!) I’ve just run it again and the program now seems to be working fine. So thank you again.

Peter

I am havig this same issue - i.e. when I load up score that previously worked quite happily, I now get the “Some audio files are missing. Please check installation” window. I am using Dorico Pro 3.5.10 on a MAC OS 10.13 (High Sierra). I have tried reinstalling the full sounds pkg, and also have tried clearing the audio engine cache / Reset Audio Engine data (both from the VST plugins preference page). Issue persists. The sounds that are not loading ) or even visible in the list of possibilities in the “Load Program to Selected Slot” window in the Halion setup is “Trumpet combi” and “Trombone combi” - these were there and working fine when I previously opened this project. Please help!! Thanks, Rob

Welcome to the forum Rob.
First thing to check is, open the Steinberg Library Manager (gets installed along with Dorico) and see what that sound libraries that application can find on your computer. If that one does not show anything, please have a look under
Mac HD / Library / Application Support / Steinberg / Content / VST Sound
Mac HD / Library / Application Support / Steinberg / Content / Halion / VST Sound
to see if there are any *.vstsound files there.
If there are, double click on each of them, that will register the files with the Library Manager. Then try again in Dorico.

Hi there!
I’m having the same trouble as rob. I’ve cleared the cache, I’ve reset the audio engine, I checked the library manager and I’ve reloaded via the finder all the .vstsound files there are. STILL, when I open my scores the ‘some audio files are missing. Please check installation’ pop-up shows when I open Dorico. BUT when I open a new empty project, I don’t get the message…
I’ve also noticed, besides HALion only loading some very few VSTs when adding new players/instruments, that when I playback an electric guitar and manually add the VST that half of the notes add a C0…

Hi @Liauw , please load one of the demo projects and then do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’. The corresponding zip file please post here.
Regarding the many C0 notes, those are control notes for the expression map. If in the Endpoint Setup dialog an appropriate expression map is chosen, these low notes get filtered out and instead control the sound articulation.

Hi Ulf! thank your for the quick response. I have created a diagnostic report for one of my files.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (884.4 KB)

I have found the problem with the ‘Some audio files are missing’ pop-up. My template had apparently an old VST instrument named ‘steel guitar VX’. When I removed this VST -no more pop-ups.

Now for the problem of missing VST when adding players/instruments still remains. even when opening a completely empty new project, Dorico is not loading some VSTs. I’ve tried only a few now and guitars/bass seem to be a problem but violins or wind instruments are loading just fine. (note: the expression maps seem to be loading fine as well for all instruments)

for the problem of C0 notes: yes, the expression maps seem to be the problem. As far as my research went, the HSSO Nylon Guitar VX is the expression map that is loaded when adding most of the guitars. And this expression map has the ‘natural’ playing technique at C0. That must be the problem. Is deleting this expression technique the cure?

Hi @Liauw , it may be that the warning message about missing audio files is not coming anymore, but according to the log files you are still missing a number of HSSE sound libraries. That’s also the reason why some of the sounds won’t load with you. To rectify this you best reinstall the Dorico Sounds installer packages as can be found in the Steinberg Download Assistant.
Also, please consier upgrading HALion Sonice SE to version 3.4.40. You can find the installer on our webpage under Support > Downloads.
Regarding the expression maps, I’m not an expert and don’t know how to deal with them in your case. Paging my colleague @dspreadbury

If you load a different sound manually in HSSE, you will indeed need to check what expression map is set in the Endpoint Setup dialog, and potentially change the setting to e.g. Default. Dorico isn’t informed (indeed cannot be informed) when you load a sound in HSSE, so you have to take care of this yourself.

Hi Ulf, Hi Daniel!

Thanks for you support! reinstalling the Dorico sounds installer did the trick!
The manual setup of the endpoint is a bit of a drag but at least I know what to do!

kind regards,
Kai

1 Like