Some clarification needed.

Hi,
Some clarification is needed.

I usually write string/ country based music and I have hardly used midi inserts / sends. Can you enlighten me with some pointers on how you’ll use it .

Second thing reading different post in the forum has got me confused regarding articulations on a same / different track.

a. Usually when articulations in different tracks for the same instrument activate stereo outputs in cubase and also in kontakt so I have control of vol and other parameters .

b. Or articulations on a same track but not activate any stereo outputs in cubase / kontakt which causes all articulations to be controlled with just the default stereo output 1.

So are both a and b correct or am I missing something?

third question on the pic attached - how and when to use it ?

And my last question on activating stereo ouputs in vst instruments its says as
KT ST 1 STEREO ( MAIN)
KT ST 2 STEREO
KT AUX 1 STEREO
KT AUX 4 STEREO
KT UNASSIGNED 1 ( MONO)
KT UNASSIGNED 2 ( MONO)
My question why it says as stereo 1 to 4 / aux 1 to4 / mono 1 to 48 ?

Please answer point by point as I’m lost. And pls be gentle I’m no expert.

Thanks.
1.PNG

Hi,

If you are using virtual instruments, it’s not so important to process it (at least not so much). These libraries are already processed, so you don’t need to use a Compressor, EQ, or Reverb. But of course, you can, if it makes sense. These 3 (Compressor, EQ, Reverb) are the most important.

Regarding to the articulation: If you have an option to change the volume in the instrument itself, you can just route all different articualtions to the same Output. Then it works as one instrument, in fact.

These outputs, you are descibing in the last questions, comes from NI Kontakt. These are multiple-outputs. If you want to make it easier, load Kontat 5 (Stereo) as your virtual instrument. These other outputs give you an oportunity to apply different FXs (plug-ins) to different sounds from NI Kontakt.

I tend to disagree very much on this statement. The programmers of the different virtual instruments does not know in what context you will use them. Yes the libraries are processed (at least most) but the applied processing sometimes needs to be removed (if possible) or enhanced, and sometimes enhanced very much. I have never had a project where I have not applied reverb (to put everything in the same “room”), EQ (to not having instruments covering the same frequency) and compressor to dampen or bring out transients.

hi, thanks for replying.
well i dont see eq, compression, reverb effects that can be applied in midi inserts / sends- what you see is arpache / midi modifiers, auto lfo, beat designer. i guess you’ll are talkin about channel settings window insert/ send option.

As i was playing around i did realize i can have all articulation in one midi track and have separate audio outputs activated for each articulation. --------------- is it better to have separate audio outputs activated for each articulation or just have one audio output active ( the actual midi track with all the articulation ).

1. if i have to apply some processing to actual track should it be done to the midi track or the audio output.

thanks

You are looking at the wrong place. There are two ways of inserting FX and in addition there are sends. To insert: In the Mixer window you can enter the insert section of each track. From the slots there you can access all your installed FX like reverb, EQ etc… ( There is also a separate EQ section, built in in CB8. There is also a separate console rack in the mixer with knobs for the most “important” FX).

The second way is in the main window you click the little e. A new window will appear and the leftmost slots are for FX inserts.

Then the sends. In the mixer you insert an FX track. Then use method 1 described here to insert FX. Then route your track to the FX channel. This is perhaps not very useful for EQ and Compression, but very useful for reverb and delay.

1. You cannot apply Compressor, EQ, Reverb on a MIDI track. You have to apply it on an Audio Channel. So, us an Instrument track, or apply the effect on the Audio Return of the I strument. In this case, I would strongly recommend to use multiple Outouts of the Instrument.

2. I always try to “tune” all articulations directly in the instrument the way, they already sounds the same on one output. So I don’t use different Audio Returns for different articulations. The output from the virtual Instrument is for me like an “output” from the instrument.

3. It has to be done in the Audio Channel. So Return of the Instrument track, or an Audio track (if you want to convert it by using Render In Place). I don’t convert it, and apply effects to the Instrument track.

I totally agree, if you know, what to do, and how to do it. Then, you can make the Sound better. I would be just carefull with over-processing. You have to have in mind, the signal was already processed. So it’s different to apply Compressor and EQ at Instrument track, or mic-recorded Audio track.

And if you don’t process it, you could still get some result, which is not so bad, as if you don’t process an Audio (mic-recorded) signal.