some notated notes not to be played back

In a score I’m writing for the guitar, I’d like to notate 2 bars of the typical “la pompe” quarter note rythm and 2 bars for a riff on the same staff. This would appear in several sections of the music.

The chords are notated on a separate “chord” staff, rythm being as appropriate, but I’d like to avoid creating a score for the chords and the guitar staves, but just one with a single guitar staff, the chords appearing on top staff. That takes 2 pages instead of 4 for the complete tune arrangement.

My first idea was to use slash noteheads on the middle staff line for the quarter notes of " la pompe", and then notate the riff as “normal round” notes.

Problem:
During playback the slash noteheads on the middle line of the staff are played and don’t reflect the proper pitch … Is there a way to silence them during playback. Of course, I could make those slash notes being chord roots, i.e. not on the middle line, but then the visual aspect of the score is a bit confusing.

The ideal way could be the use of a “silent” or “not to playback” properly for some notes… I tried the muted property of the bottom panel, but that didn’t work … maybe I didn’t understand the meaning of this “muted” property !!

Any suggestion ?

Found the slash region / voice concepts … That solves my problem.

No idea of whether a "slient " note property could be useful for … glissando without playing the end note ?

Just select the notes and click “Suppress playback.” It’s literally the very first property in the properties panel.

Can’t see that “suppress playback” in the bottom panel, nor when right clicking, when a note is selected in write mode

“Suppress PlaybacK” and “Muted” are the same property. “Muted” was renamed “Suppress Playback” in Dorico 3.

I tried using this muted property but the selected corresponding notes still played back (dorico 2.20). In fact this has been the very first thing I tried as mentionned in my original posted message.

Maybe I did something wrong, but is there an option to set in addition to this ?

No, that should be sufficient. Perhaps you could zip up and attach the project so we can take a look?

There it is. I renamed the file just adding a .zip ending so it could be attached, just rename it to remove the.zip without any unzipping.

I colored red a few notes at the beginning of the guitar staff, which all have the “muted” property but which still playback (Dorico 2.2)

(I’m waiting for Dorico 3 usual couple of early bug fixing releases, since my Internet access is awfully slow).
Route 66 - Score - jPizzarelli 1 - F Muted Notes.dorico.zip (590 KB)

You’ve activated the ‘Muted’ property but not actually checked the checkbox that makes the property take effect. (In Dorico 3, the updated ‘Suppress playback’ property doesn’t show this checkbox, so it is applied as soon as the property switch itself is activated.)

Thanks Daniel

I was pretty sure I missed something, and I’ve been looking for something like that in vain from the very beginning …

I can’t find it still !! where is that checkbox you mention ?

One thing is confusing: the color attribute takes effect as soon as it is used, but not the muted one (in 2.20)

Thanks … It works OK now. So far, I understood this tiny white square to be a muted “on” indicator , but in fact it’s the checkbox to be clicked :astonished:

Good idea to clean that up in Dorico 3 !!

I’m not sure what you want to “clean up”, since many properties in Dorico work this way.

The button says “I want to override the default value set in the notation or engraving options” and the checkbox says what you want to override it to.

I agree this isn’t entirely logical for “Muted,” since there is no global setting to “Mute everything,” but it would be confusing if different options worked different ways.

There have been several threads discussing this in the past, and the summary of all of them is “that’s the way properties are designed to work and it’s not going to change.”

…except that this has been cleaned up in Dorico 3, Rob.

So it has.

I misinterpreted “Good idea to clean that up in Dorico 3 !!” as “It would be a good idea to clean that up in Dorico 3.x because it’s a weird UI design!!” and forgot it had already happened.

(Changing “Muted” to “Suppress playback” might stop somebody wondering why it the property doesn’t mean the same as “con sord”, I suppose…)

Sorry to have induced this misinterpretation … I should have expressed myself differently (English isn’t my native language)

i mentionned the color attribute and i have a suggestion for it …

• The current way is to click the color property then select a color from the color palette every time one wants to color a note …

• Most often, what I do is to color chord tones in a melody or an impro , always the same color, say red. It is likely extremely rare to use many different colors for the notes in a score …

Would it be possible to keep track of the last selected color ? so one could rapidly color several non consecutive notes more rapidly. as several ( click note, activate color ) actions in sequence … maybe even be able to create a shortcut for this action