Some small Tweeks for WL for the next update

Why can’t I change the gain after using the gain adjustment (Control+ G) while the result window is open? This has been a “feature” since version 1.6 and IMHO should be changed so you CAN process the file with the results window open. FWIW.

In WL 6 I was able to right click on a file in Montage get a menu and it would allow me to open the original file. Seem as though that is no longer the case and you not have to go back to the editing window. In my way of working it slows everything down.

WL should be able to remember what was done to a file. RX 4 gives you a whole menu of what has been done to a file. This would be really helpful if you have to go back and figure out what was done a week ago.

A good encoding/decoding M-S processor would be nice as well as a way to monitor a file that was recorded in M-S to see how it will sound in stereo.

The menus in WL are somehow not intuitive like they were in 6.0. IMHO the view menu should be the place were one saves the screen setups. There are some other “weird” file menu that don’t make a lot of sense when they could be a lot more intuitive.

Just some ideas for “improving” WL in the next update.

Why can’t I change the gain after using the gain adjustment (Control+ G) while the result window is open? This has been a “feature” since version 1.6 and IMHO should be changed so you CAN process the file with the results window open. FWIW.

I don’t see what you mean. There is no difference with WaveLab 6 I am aware of.

In WL 6 I was able to right click on a file in Montage get a menu and it would allow me to open the original file. Seem as though that is no longer the case and you not have to go back to the editing window. In my way of working it slows everything down.

It’s there:
2015-07-12 23_17_38.png

A good encoding/decoding M-S processor would be nice as well as a way to monitor a file that was recorded in M-S to see how it will sound in stereo.

There are 3 plugins for this.
2015-07-12 23_18_42.png
Anyway, there will be extra support for M/S editing in the future.

The menus in WL are somehow not intuitive like they were in 6.0. IMHO the view menu should be the place were one saves the screen setups. There are some other “weird” file menu that don’t make a lot of sense when they could be a lot more intuitive.

There will be changes.

Thanks…

Some of my requests were due to unfamiliarity with WL 8.5.3

Having to close the results windows when checking gain has always been in WL. It seems cumbersome that you have to close the window before making an adjustment. Just my two cents worth.

I still prefer a drop down menu when right clicking to go back to the original file instead of going over to the side of the screen but I can live with it.

Some changes in the menus would be nice.

One thing that happened in WL7 was that, for me, WL went from being super intuitive for me to being somewhat less intuitive. Everything in WL 6 was where it “ought to be” and in WL 7 it was much harder for me to find. I have been with WL since version 1.6 so maybe I just developed ways of working that worked for me. I like 8.5.3 a lot but I am still finding my way.

Thanks for your reply as always…

Maybe I misunderstand, but I always simply double click on the upper part of the clip in the montage to open the referenced wave file in the editor. The clip part of that file then opens as an active selection.

Likewise. Maybe there is confusion about what “go back to the original files means” but both interpretations I can think of can be done by right clicking right on the waveform.

1). Right click the waveform and choose “edit audio” to open that file in the audio editor

2.) Right click and choose “replace audio file…” to navigate using the WL browser to replace a file in the montage with another file (new or original).

I have clipped all over the files in Montage but all it does is select them then I can jump over to the side of the page and click on Edit Audio… but in the olde days (WL 6) I could just right click on a file in montage and one of the options would be to edit original file. If I right click all I get is a command box with a lot of things I really don’t have to use. Can you tell me where on the wavefile in Montage you are clicking?

Also where is the return to zero key (the beginning of the montage) for Montage?

So you are not able to do this?:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20660906/WL85_Tests/WL_85_EDIT.mov

It appears you need to click in the lower half of a waveform in the montage to get the menu you are looking for.

Also, I don’t know what the original shortcut is/was to move the cursor to the start of a file (montage or audio edit), but here is where you can see what the shortcut is (if there is one by default), or you define your own.

You may have to do it for both the montage and the edit side of Wavelab. It’s been awhile since I set mine up.

Thanks that was very helpful. I was clicking in the upper part of the file (left channel if you will) so now it works fine. Again having worked with WL 6 for a lot of years I am still doing some catch up learning with WL 8.5.3 Thanks again…

I will create my own button as per your easy to follow instructions. Thanks!

Be safe!