Some ties not condensing

Hi,

I have a condensed score but the flutes, that play in octaves did not keep the ties from the grace notes while in the oboes and clarinets they did.
Has anyone seen this behaviour? I searched the forum but did not find a true match on this.

Thanks in advance!
Frank

Condensing ties.pdf (35.8 KB)

FJJ, have you tried using slurs instead of ties?

Working on the Orchestration Challenge, are we? Kudos!

I’m afraid this is a current limitation of condensing: ties between notes in different voices or between grace notes and rhythmic notes are not currently condensed. This is something we have on our backlog to improve in future.

Hey, that fragment looks familiar… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Looking forward to everybody’s take at it. Sent mine in a week ago. BTW, I noticed that several of the entrants of last year used Dorico. When seeing many arrangements of the same piece, you recognise what a difference it makes in engraving quality!

Regarding your score. How are you expecting the players to play this?

It makes no sense for wind players to have accents on grace notes that are tied to notes which themselves are accented. An accent is necessarily tongued, which would break the tie.

However, without the tie (that is causing you so much anxiety) it is perfectly playable. Alternatively remove the accent from the tied-in crotchets.

Ask Manuel de Falla. :smirk:
Granted, it’s a clumsy way to notate what de Falla wanted, but that’s how he did it. For my own purposes (in the challenge) I notated it differently.

No, Falla did not!
falla

The accent on the crotchet can only apply to the lower B as the upper B has been tied and will not re-sound.

Suit yourself. As I said, I handled it differently.

In the area of contemporary classical music that I work in, an accent within a slur will be interpreted by a wind player as a breath-only accent without tonguing. Similarly a string player can perform an accent without changing bow. It’s acceptable notation.

Yes, indeed! Very nice to work on this and get comments from Thomas Goss!

Thanks, Daniel, for your quick replies all the time! I don’t know how you manage all that. Truly great!