Something changed for the worse..

In earlier versions of Cubase:
Automation…

You have two buttons: W and R
If W is on by itself, any automations you do will overwrite existing automations. (akin to what is commonly known as “LATCH”.

If W and R are both on, any automations you do will overwrite existing automations until you let go of the slider, and once you let go of the slider, existing automations that were already there stay there. (akin to what is known as “TOUCH”.

Each automation lane has its own “W” and “R”, so you could intuitively suspend or overwrite any of the automated parameters visually right there.

It was the type of elegance and simplicity and intuitive kind of thing you expect from Cubase.

In the present version of Cubase:
You have two buttons: W and R.
“R” cannot be turned on by itself anymore, and the above intuitive functionality of Cubase’s automation has become this:
A separate pop-up window “Automation Panel” (Because Cubase needed another separate window).

You have two “W’s” one with a line through it. and Two “R’s” one with a line through it.
And a grid of Text Buttons:

• Fill To punch, Fill To Start, Fill to End, Loop.
• Suspend Read Volume, Suspend Read Pan, Suspend Read EQ, Suspend Read Sends, Suspend Read Inserts, Suspend Read Mute, Suspend Read Others, Suspend Read All.
• Suspend Write Volume, Suspend Write Pan, Suspend Write EQ, Suspend Write Sends, Suspend Write Inserts, Suspend Write Mute, Suspend Write Others, Suspend Write All.
• Show Volume, Show Pan, Show EQ, Show Sends, Show Inserts, Show Mute, Show Others, Show All.
• a FUNCTIONS drop down menu which gives you 3 different ways to Delete stuff.
First reaction and current opinion: “They saw something good, perfectly functional, intuitive and elegant,
replaced it with a window full of text menus, and complicated the sht out of it so it looks more ‘advanced’ or something”.

“They saw something good, perfectly functional, intuitive and elegant,
replaced it with a window full of text menus, and complicated the sht out of it so it looks more ‘advanced’ or something”.

Probably because so many people pointed out the limitations of the “old” way of doing things and suggested advancements. I mean, they wouldn’t do all that just to spite us now.
The manual not help? I have to go back to it now and again on a new version.

Since what version? I’m still on v6…read is globally on or off. I actually had the same thought that I’d like to be able to describe say volume automation while not screwing with any other automation I’ve done on the channel.

Yes, it can. What version are you using?

You can do that easily. If you mean suspend writing of all automation except volume then simply click on ‘All’ followed by ‘volume’ in the ‘suspend write’ column of the automation panel.