Something very strange with the CUBASE13 performance scoreboard

I include images because otherwise this cannot be easily explained with words. I have loaded two VSTi SynthMaster 2.9.17 the latest version and Kontakt 7.10.5 the latest version, so far so good, the bad thing comes now, as you can see in the images yes I leave the KONTAKT 7.10.5 track marked and you look at the Cubase performance bar and then you look at the image in which I have one of the SYNTHMASTER 2.9.17 tracks marked and you will see how the CPU consumption is in the performance marker of CUBASE because in Kontakt it remains the same, it increases only by having the SYNTHMASTER track marked. I have seen strange things but never anything like this and it is also something that prevents you from working with many tracks and the Mixing Console, obviously right? What is happening, what does the position marking of a track have to do with increasing CPU consumption? Please respond, do not do the same to me as NATIVE Instruments, who never respond, in fact you cannot even contact them. All the best. And yes, it happens with other VSTi and Kontakt.
Enviar comentarios

1 Like

In the images, in one there are more tracks than in others, it is simply because I was testing and the issue that depending on whether you mark one track or another causes the Cubase performance marker to trigger, it happens with 4 track or 6 equally if the situation arises. situation of having one track or another marked, going down one way and going up the other. Something very strange, right? In fact, if I changed to mix, it would not let me mix because it would reach 100% CPU usage. Mysteries, HAHA

A mystery, indeed. :arrow_down: :arrow_up: :interrobang: :crystal_ball: :exploding_head: :medical_symbol:

A track that gets selected and armed for recording will be taken out of ASIO Guard. If there is a CPU intensive preset loaded on the VSTi for that track it will bother the CPU directly.

So basically you switch between presets that put less strain on the CPU and the other puts more strain on it.

Please note: It does not actually have to be the VSTi preset. All plugins on that track have an impact.

2 Likes

Quick thought: Do you have “Activate ASIO-Guard” turned on in your Studio Setup’s Audio System tab? If not, it would be worth trying turning it on (see screen shot) then experimenting with the ASIO-Guard Level settings:

Your screen shots are sufficiently small that I can’t see what specific Kontakt instrument you have loaded, but many Kontakt instruments are pretty lightweight, whereas I’m going to guess SynthMaster is more CPU-intensive based on experience with other synths (e.g. from Arturia’s V Collection).

When you have a specific instrument track selected, and it is in Record mode, the ASIO-Guard will be used for that instrument, and you’ll often see the ASIO-Guard meter (lower meter of the two) have activity that is offloading the main CPU peak meter. But, if you don’t have ASIO-Guard activated, then any load of the instrument that you’ll be recording will show up on the main peak meter. Since I don’t see anything on the ASIO-Guard meter in either of your shots, I’m guessing you don’t have it activated.

It is reasonable to expect that an instrument that uses more CPU will result in higher meter readings when you have it in record mode. But, if you have ASIO-Guard active, then it gets a separate audio engine thread from instruments that aren’t in record mode, allowing Cubase to calculate some things ahead of time to keep on with streaming performance while the instrument you’re recording must be dealt with in the space of your audio interface’s sample buffer size. That could be more work for a CPU-heavy instrument. (Using ASIO-guard doesn’t avoid its load altogether. It just splits the load up between to separate audio engine threads.)

2.738 / 5.000

Hello Friends, thank you for responding, let’s see; Maybe I haven’t explained myself well or the translation from Spanish to English is wrong, it’s about the following. My consumption increases just by marking a track, just for that, nor for starting to record on it nor because it is the Synthmaster, which by the way at that moment is using 1.3 to 4% of CPU nothing more, that is, I mark any track with the mouse, yes, just as it is read, other than Kontakt in this case and it increases my cpu consumption, just by marking with the mouse without doing, mixing, recording, freezing, equalization, that is nothing at all JUST FOR MARKING A TRACK OTHER THAN IT, WELL ACTUALLY THE SYNTHMASTHER TRACK, if I leave the Synthmaster track and mark the Kontakt track the Cubase performance meter goes off, JUST FOR MARKING IT, what happens in the photo It seems the opposite because I started to add more tracks in Kontakt, as an experiment, but that is what happens, if I MARK THE SYNTHMASTER, JUST MARK IT, THE PERFORMANCE BAR IS LOWER AND IF I UNMARK IT BY MARKING ANY OF THEM THAT THIS KONTAK, GOES TO DOUBLE, - JUST BY MARKING OR UNMARKING -. The asio Guard is at its highest level after several tests, it is the best. The graphic resolution is in 4k uhd, of course with this problem if I wanted to do a mix or anything else that requires marking a Kontakt track, for example to add more notes, to record on top, etc., since the CUBASE performance bar would shoot up, not the Kontakt, nor the Synthmaster in this case, which go well with a few from the eart library, plus one from Pharlight, which is a tremendously Crushing library for the CPUs and I have an AMD 7960X CPU which is a beast with 24 cores and 48 threads, but with a base frequency of 4.2Ghz and a turbo of 5.6Ghz, but I also have the problem that Kontakt only sees me 16 cores. I have consulted with Native Instruments but it is like asking a wall, THEY DO NOT RESPONSE and from what I have read they do not respond to anyone. WELL THAT IS THE ISSUE, IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE OF CHANGING TRACK BETWEEN SYNTHMASTER AND KONTAKT WHEN CHANGING THE MARKER TO THE LATTER CUBASE’S PERFORMANCE IS THRILLED WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE. THE BUFFER WHICH IN THIS CASE HAS NOTHING TO DO IS IN 512 SAMPLES. If anyone knows what is happening, I would be very, very grateful. Greetings from Spain. Thank you. p.s: I HAVE BEEN WITH THIS TOPIC FOR YEARS AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I SEE THE PERFORMANCE BAR OF CUBASE INCREASE JUST BY MOVING FROM ONE TRACK TO ANOTHER, JUST FOR THAT. I COME FROM THE PERIOD OF AMIGA 500,2000,1200,LOS 286,486DX ATARI, UNTIL THE ZX SPECTRUM AND WELL WHAT MORE CAN I SAY, THAT I HUMBLELY ASK FOR HELP WHEN I NEED IT, I THINK LIKE EVERYONE…AND I AM VERY GRATEFUL WHEN SOMEONE TIES TO GIVE IT TO ME, YOU NEVER KNOW ENOUGH.

Enviar comentarios

Maybe it would be worth a try to use Instrument Tracks instead of MIDI Tracks + Rack VSTi.

I think it is quite clear what you mean. And, please, there is no need to throw all captial letters at us. This can be seen as rather rude.

I think you did not understand what I tried to communicate in my previous reply. I am sorry for not explaining it better.

Maybe you can just try the following experiment:
From your example, when the track is selected, turn off the “arm track”
grafik

Does the Performance Meter drop down then?

For Jhonny_Moneto and ASM: First of all, thank you for your response and your inconvenience. Well Jhonny_Moneto, well you are right as you can see in the photographs that I hope will let me upload the size I say, let’s see; If I put myself on a Kontakt track, turn the meter up to full, if following your advice, Mr. Jhonny, and I deactivate the Record Option, then look how far it goes, Brutal, which is good because we see what happens, but it is bad because as Do I record if necessary on top of a track??.ASM you are also right, opening tracks as instruments consumes a little less, but as soon as you deactivate a Kontakt track being marked, its recording option is when it really drops, so what can I do? ? There is a serious problem here, I understand, because if I cannot record on a Kontakt track or mix just by selecting it, well, you who clearly know more about Cubase than I do, what do you propose???. By the way, sorry for expressing myself in capital letters yesterday, it is simply to highlight parts of the problem, not because I am rude, I think I am not, but that is in your power to judge if I have behaved that way, yes. That’s right, I apologize, it was never my intention and thank you very much for everything, I hope to find a solution to the issue with you and the Steinberg support, which has not yet commented on the matter. See the photos, please, the problem is in them. very clear, not the solution.
Thank you Jhonny_Moneto, you got it right the first time. Would you tell me why that is? I don’t reach that point of wisdom in Cubase, well, it’s clear, right? Greetings and many thanks to both of you.
PS: If you look at the libraries used, one of them in particular, that is done on purpose because the Pharlight is a very overwhelming Library for the CPUs, but the theme remains the same, as you can see in the images that are in order of narration , it’s just for changing tracks without doing anything else, apart from the discovery of Jhonny_Moneto

[1] If you deactivate the following options, the settings for Record Enable (red button) are retained, regardless of the selected track(s).

[2] If you want to emphasize something, you can use bold or italics (or both) instead of writing in CAPITAL LETTERS (“shouting”).

[3] Without wanting to offend your language skills, I can recommend the free online translator DeepL Translate - just in case you’re in search for something like this.

[4] As far as your actual problem (performance) is concerned, unfortunately I cannot reproduce this. I wonder how your computer generally copes with higher performance requirements. A frequently mentioned application to test this is LatencyMon . Perhaps you can run this once and report on the result.

@Ignacio_Momoitio_Mar What is your audio interface and what buffer size setting does it use?

Hello again ASM and thank you for your response, I have done the thing of unchecking record when creating the midi and audio track and it goes well, until you activate record again that corresponds to Kontakt, at this point, in which the problem returns arise…As you will see in the photos. My modest opinion is that the fault is in Kontakt 7.15.5, of Cubase Version 13.0.41, that is, it is the latest one, the one I have, well I don’t know much apparently, but about kontakt yes and, what Pablin_Drummer said about Configuring Kontakt in Vst or alone is well known by Kontakt users, your advice is impeccable but not practical because as soon as you activate the recording the Cubase Performance skyrockets again, which does not correspond at all to the from Kontakt. In one of the images you can see that it only has 16 cores out of 48 cores that my system has. Asus pro WS trx50 sage wifi motherboard, 128 Gb of Ddr5 RDimm 6000 Ecc is the specific one for the Amd 7960X processor 24 cores 48 Threads or threads with AMD’s SMT which is the same as Intel’s Multi treading, Msi Geforce rtx 350 2x xs 8Gb OC Edition graphics card behaves well, not for playing (which is also valid) but for the topic of music production according to All calculations carried out and tested, runs well at 76 frames per second in 1080p, no bottlenecks, updated official drivers, 360 liquid cooling, 2 Nvme M.2 SSDs of 2 TB each and a 6 TB HDD, a Seagate Barracuda , and another two HDD storage of 3.5 and 2 Tb each. Board management and control software, CPU, etc. Armory Crate, Base speed 4.2Ghz verified and the turbo option is self-managed, the motherboard has Bios, yes, it is something controversial because you open them and they are like the old ones but with all the UEFI fields. I’m waiting for a response from Native Instruments to see why Kontakt only sees 16 cores of at least 48 if not 24, but I’ve seen some brutal criticism and believe me they are, in their own store in Germany precisely because they don’t provide support, so If anyone has something that occurs to me, I am still open to suggestions to Mr. Pablin who also wrote to me. I have followed his test and I have also installed the Haion Sonic and it remains stable, so, well, I think that with this machine rated at 5,800 Euros, you should be able to do all this at least. Also say that I already apologized for the capital letters, that I don’t think I should always be reminded, come on, I think, from the deepest of respect. I am very grateful for your attempts, clues and annoyances that the issue may be causing you, I say it from the bottom of my heart, because here and I want to say on the part of Native Instruments…Nothing and on the part of Steinberg, well always even if it is insisting and not solving nothing in some cases and in others yes, but they have always answered although I have to say that it takes longer and longer. That said, I don’t know, maybe I’ll switch to the orchestral tools sine player and forget who forgets me, Native Instruments. Thank you again friend for trying to help me, I hope that together we can find a solution. A hug from Spain.
I haven’t tried latencyMoom yet, I’ll do it tomorrow and I’ll send you a snapshot of the results here, if that’s okay with you?
Again, greetings and a hug.

1 Like

Record Enable OFF

Record Enable ON

1 Like

Thank you very much ASM, I have already seen your demonstration, anyway I am sending you some images, so you can see what I have achieved,…Well it won’t let me load the images or the video, well I tell you; With the recording reactivated, only a little consumption happens to me when I switch to Kontakt and I have added more tracks from heavy libraries, a total of 10 with a total of about 340 voices and it does not exceed 35% performance in Kontakt and a little more in Kontakt. the Cubase performance meter, I will also tell you that Windows is only prepared for 32 Threads, it does not see one more nor one less, hence many problems with the new processors like mine, Latencymoon only sees me exactly from 0 to 32 CPUs , which Win 11 Pro allows, well we will continue working on deactivating all telemetry and completely Windows Defender and other services, the shame is that I cannot take advantage of all the power of my processor… As you will see in the images of LatencyMoon everything is fine, removing the driver that spends a little bit of a millisecond and is from the Win 11 Kernel, which will be updated with the relevant updates, if you see something that doesn’t fit you, please tell me. Tomorrow since the Video has not worked for me and I have reduced it to 9 Megas, but hey, I’ll show you some images if it’s okay if not, then I thank you for your persistence in helping me, you can’t get an idea for which I thank you, truly. A hug.

It doesn’t look very good due to the resolution I had to adopt to be able to upload it, but you can see how I move between tracks with the mouse and the number of more or less used voices and Kontak, Halion Sonic and SynthMaster tracks. Thanks see what you think.

In my opinion, the issues seem to be in the audio area.

[1] According to the images posted, you are running an external USB audio interface with a 22 ms buffer @ 48 kHz, which is rather high. Good values are 2 to 5 ms. But even with this high latency, you seem to have problems with performance, although your PC hardware is generally high-end. I’d think about that and possibly replace the external USB interface with an internal PCIe interface (e.g. RME HDSPe AIO Pro). I use an old HDSPe AIO in a computer that’s not half as powerful as yours, but I achieve the following values error-free with it:

[2] What is noticeable in the LatencyMon app is a bottleneck in the HDAudBus.sys driver, which isn’t actually necessary for an ASIO interface. This usually has a proprietary driver from manufacturer that is much faster and more stable than the MS Generic. Perhaps you have activated an onboard sound card? If you have an ASIO interface and (normally) don’t need a second sound card, you’d better deactivate it (usually in the UEFI).

[3] Windows Power Management can also affect performance. Minimize the power saving manually or try the Steinberg scheme (in Studio Setup). Alternatively, Process Lasso can switch Power Schemes dynamically and do some other nice things to thread management.

[4] The settings of the Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) can also improve performance. Please read here.

[5] Just this much about Kontakt (don’t want to make any enemies :innocent:):
I personally don’t use it because I think it’s outdated and superfluous. There are so many alternatives around today that I think are better sounding, performing and more advanced in terms of technology, e.g. HALion 7. But ok - everyone as they like it.

Please understand my thoughts as a mere suggestion that may lead you or those around you to an unexpected solution. From a distance, a comprehensive analysis of all the technical circumstances is a challenge that can hardly be mastered. Good luck to you!

Hello! I wanted to mention that ever since I updated from 13.0.40 to 13.0.41 my previous projects often stutter and cut off. The Asio Guard is enabled, as usual, and now the meter tends to spike and shows a rather high load in general. It didn’t happen with 13.0.40 and earlier v13 builds.

@Ignacio_Momoitio_Mar You should try uninstalling your “Panda Security” softwares. 3rd party anti virus software is known to cause issues with demanding audio applications.
Your Nvidia drivers also report an unusually high DPC count. Make sure you have the latest Studio driver installed and only install the driver, not any of the other Nvidia software that comes with.

1 Like

Driver AsioFocusriteScarlett2in2.3Gen

Hello friends; This answer is for ASm,Mlib AND StarGateMAX. Well, the truth is that this is crazy, first of all I would like to thank you for the fact that you are trying to help me, thank you very much and I fall short. The issue is that due to the latency and what I recommended yesterday ASm I have disabled the motherboard card, not the processor because these processors do not have integrated graphics or audio (I prefer it this way, for Pro audio) I have I literally uninstalled the NvidiaHigAudioDefinition, I also have to say that I uninstalled the board’s audio from the Bios, everything has gone up much more, so, I have re-enabled it again and I have disabled it from the device manager and well, as an obvious result, I I always configure it like this, that is, so that only the Asio of the internal or external USB audio interface remains, as is the case with a Focusrite Scarlett that I had from the other computer and I have transferred it to this one because it has always worked well for me, although I have idea of ​​changing to a PCIExpess DSP, maybe what ASM recommends, it’s not bad at all, the problem is; Due to the new data obtained after these changes, in the latencyMoon, I have reviewed the USB audio driver, fully updated, I have downloaded the NvClenStall and it is assumed that I was going to install a more current driver than the one I had, obviously it has installed the same, since I already had the latest version installed, as you will see in the images that I am going to see if it will let me upload, according to latencyMoon there is another system driver that is very common that causes latency problems, I have downloaded up to 92 samples in the Buffer of my audio card obtaining 5.33…Mseconds, of course the performance issue increases too much. Why? I am increasingly convinced that it is the Video card, which is very poor for the CPU Processor, however an Msi Geforce RTX 3050 Ventus 2X Xs 8 Gb OC Edition should be worth it, to move the Cubase graphics and animations of the Vumeters, etc… it is tested with FurMark giving scores of 80 Frames per second in 1080P, it is also true that I am working on a 4K UHD screen, I mention it in case it would have something to do with it, although I have also tried download the Phisyc screen settings…the Nvidia Software where I have selected its own processor to work with…what I don’t see is the option to set the power to maximum in the NVidia control panel as Native Instruments says in its compilation of tips and how to configure Windows 11 as well as how to manage the latencyMoon, I have already thought as a last resort for the graphics to install the Geforce experience that you can put the card to the maximum of everything, just to see the result in the latency, Although that rather points to the audio card, anyway, I have also tried with the audio card integrated into the Motherboard and well, more or less the same result, I already told you that this is crazy. In the end I will have to put one More powerful graphics to use Cubase??, I think it is the Audio one. Please take a look at the images, if you don’t mind. Comment that in the Latencymoon processor option the difference in speed that it measures is barely non-existent, there is almost no difference, the DirectX is the latest version and the openGL I think I remember is 3.3 or 4. something, both compatible with Cubase . Greetings from Madness friends. StargateMax, I have both updates installed. Thank you. As for Panda, I have disabled the panda agent and the possibility of it being updated without permission, without asking, Windows Defender is disabled, well, Real-time protection and even Firewalk and everything what is possible, which is not 100%…Windows is like a torment, removing the 10 and 7 Pro that allowed themselves to be handled and did not have Microsoft’s intentional limitation of cutting up to 32 Threads, it does not see a single one more. In the latencyMoon you can see as I have done, if you have more than 32 threads, you will see how the CPU only sees 32. Anyway, Long live the Freedom of choice, did I say choice??.. Greetings and thank you very much for your effort and time.