Sometimes Properties won't open, bug?

Sometimes when pressing cmd/ctrl-8 Properties won’t open, nothing happens at all. But if I in those cases press cmd/ctrl-9 and then cmd/ctrl-8 it opens. No clicking in the document or whatsoever, just opening the right hand menu “releases” the Properties menu.

Same thing when clicking the Properties in some cases; no reaction.

I can’t say exactly in which cases this happens, but I guess you’re already aware of this.
If not, I’ll try to keep my eyes on when this happens.

If you’ve used Ctrl/Cmd+0 to hide the panels (or clicked the Hide/Restore Panels icon at the top of the screen), Cmd/Ctrl-8 won’t necessarily release the “Hide Panels” command.
As I understand it, Ctrl/Cmd+0 should be used to restore whatever panels were previously open, so in my eyes it’s not a bug that Cmd/Ctrl+8 doesn’t work, it’s a bug that Cmd/Ctrl+7, 8 and 9 sometimes work.

I realise now that the manual doesn’t actually say anything explicit about this, so maybe it’s me that’s wrong. Either way, as long as the Hide Panels icon is inactive (dark), Ctrl/Cmd+8 should work fine.

I would certainly prefer to be able to hide all panels with CTRL/CMD+0 and the call them back individually when needed using the other shortcuts.

Pianoleo, thanks for clarification! I had totally missed the Way ctrl/cmd-0 works, but now it makes sense.

As I understand it, Ctrl/Cmd+0 should be used to restore whatever panels were previously open, so in my eyes it’s not a bug that Cmd/Ctrl+8 doesn’t work, it’s a bug that Cmd/Ctrl+7, 8 and 9 sometimes work.

Derek, I totally agree, I can’t really see the point in “restoring” the panels?

I would certainly prefer to be able to hide all panels with CTRL/CMD+0 and the call them back individually when needed using the other shortcuts.

In most cases I have all panels closed and just opens them occasionally when I can’t remember the shortcut or when editing something in the Properties. I don’t have any “default state” I’d like to return to.
This might possibly be a smart feature even though I, obviously, hadn’t understood it yet. But it would be even better if it could work both ways. I.e. both possibility to restore the panels and/or open up any single panel after closing them with ctrl/cmd-0.