I can confirm this, as well.
I know this is an old thread, but seeing as Steinberg does not include an insert-based gain utility, a bump on this is two fold:
One, I emailed Sonalksis about this in hopes that they’ll fix it.
Two, hopefully the Steinberg engineering team will see this and consider adding a gain utility. Preferably one fast-reacting but also smooth without zipper-noise that would be suitable for enveloping shaping a pad stack (for example).
Strange as this sounds, there is currently not a viable gain utility that either, does not crash Cubase 64-bit, or that is zipper-noise-free, or that has full ~100db attenuation. I’ve tried them all.
Odd, that such a seemingly simple thing as a standalone fader cannot be found.
I don’t want to have to bounce it to audio, and i don’t want to use the main faders / the automation trim that would be required if you used this (and there is zipper noise with cubase’s faders when attempting to do fast envelopes).
- Cubase fader: zipper noise (and also I don’t want to use the main fader for automation, nor do i want to use the automation “trim” function.)
- Sonalksis: Crashes Cubase 64-bit version.
- HOFA 4U Fader: Zipper noise.
- Volt: Crashes Cubase. Beta version fixes crash, but sadly has zipper noise when used via automation (but is smooth when it triggers pre-set fades).
- GFader: Crashes Cubase.
- Faderworks: no zipper noise but no 64-bit version and cuts out in odd places (I blame the 32-bit bridge, perhaps).
- Blue Cat Gain: Works, no zipper noise but only attenuates 60db! So, you can hear a stacked pad you’re trying to “chop” during parts that are supposed to be silent.
There are about two more that I can’t remember that also had zipper noise.
I’ve resorted to using the Output knob of a Softube FET compressor, but it, too, is not ideal. It works, and is smooth (no zipper noise) but is not fast-reacting enough on it’s attack or release for true “cut” effects – it sounds punchy, cool for certain effects but not all.
I’ve tried all the Waves compressors for their “input / output” knobs: zipper noise or not fast-reacting enough.
I just want an effing fader.