Song tracked with Abbey Rd plugins

Hi…This song was produced using only Abbey road plugs (luv em)
the TG 12413 comp/limiter 1969 and 2005 and REDD.17

https://soundcloud.com/knmac/all-i-believe

best to everyone…Kevin

yeah i like it,great melodies and very current sounding .the guitar solo, have you been listening to the beatles tommorow never knows?

Did you put the Drums in as an Instrument Track and then either input them in Step-Time, or play them in from a midi keyboard and Quantize them ??

I always like your voice. Another good one from you, Kevin. I like the guitar solo too. If you told me you used stock Cubase plugins, I wouldn’t have been able to tell!

thanks for the kind words…always listening to tomorrow never knows…such a fantastic song…

dunno what you mean by step-time…the drums are on an inst track and I played them from a midi keyboard and …of course I Q’d them

what are you saying, the stock plugs from Cubase are as good as the AR plugs? I’ve never actually used them, maybe I should give them a go…thank you everyone…Kevin

No, not at all… I am saying I wouldn’t know, because I don’t own any plugins other than stock and the mastering stuff that comes with Ozone. I thought maybe you would say they are a better set than what Cubase gives you. I always wonder if other people can hear a piece and identify what plugins were used for comp, eq, limiter, etc (or even hardware). I still feel my mixes come out too clean sounding, and look for advice on what would get rid of that.

Oh I see what you mean…I don’t use the C7 plugs because I remember using them when I had C4 and had the opportunity to compare the eq with Sonnox eq…compared to Sonnox the C4 eq was incredibly harsh !! that did it for me and I started using 3rd party plugs, as a result I have found that different plugs do impart there own character on a mix ( though it is subtle) but cumulative when used throughout a mix…SSL channels have a very characteristic sound for instance and if you want to “dirty a mix” you should maybe try a tape emulation such as Kramer master tape or a favorite of mine at the moment is the URS Classic console strip pro which has emulations from the 50’s to now.
regarding the AR plugs I think they are really good and would recommend them if you want to add dirt/character/ or whatever you wanna call it, as the blurb says they are very musical…I definitely agree…

Cubase does have a few things such as da tube but I don’t find they have much character IMHO

best to you…Kevin

it has magneto which is a tape emulation , if it isnt in your vsts you can get it from sx3 vst plugins youll find them somewhere . i have recently been trying out magneto ,i dont think i have used it to the best of my ability cause im not impressed yet , i realy dont know what i am supposed to be acheiving with it. :neutral_face:

Yes Yes Yes! What a great song! Like your drum patterns man, reminds me Phil Collins (first minute of the song). Perfect perfect harmonies on the line “All I believe” , you sound professional and polished. You should produce much more songs man, I really tried to listen for something I can critique, there is nothing because it is just perfect as it is!! Michael.

Michael…thanks for those words of encouragement, regarding doing more songs…I’ve got loads!! producing them to a high enough standard is my big problem, takes an hour to write a song and a month to get the damn thing into the box, everyday seems to be a steep learning curve…I reckon those AR plugs helped me a lot on this track because they are so easy to use and sound so good…be using them a lot in the future I reckon…thanks again Michael…Kevin

Kevin,
Great work great sound the grime in mix is very apparent (in a good way) very warm sounding. Vocals-Gtr_drums whole thing is nice I just recently got the Red 17 plugin from waves and I like it also. Very old school sounding. This is one of my favorites I’ve heard from you

I am sharing this thought only as suggestion in production of song. -Intro- of 35sec maybe to long. It might be really cool to start with the Chorus line All I believe and straight into Vrs. (maybe just vocal and cool Phil Collins beat u use?). Sometimes it’s great to start hitting with hook
Just a thought. That’s what I love about arranger track in Cubase lol

That;s a good idea…starting with the hook, would never have considered that ! the REDD plugs are great aren’t they.
reckon they’re gonna be my go to plugs from now on, thanks for listening and I think I’ll have a go at re arranging the song…Kevin

Hey Kevin

First off I like your voice, its got a unique awesomeness to it. Its a big sounding mix. The long delay on the reverb (if I’m correct) is really cool, almost sounds like backing vocalists :smiley:

We would all do things different, but this song has a special quality to it. I get the picture of someone, bags packed, hitching out of the ‘world they know’ when I listen to this.
Ever watched the skateboard movie “Thrashing” ? Yeah when Corey’s girlfriend leaves on the bus, this song would kick ass there! :smiley:

One comment, the ending I think is a tad abrupt. Its such a dreamy, inspiring song that to cut it short doesn’t do this brilliance justice. Even a fade would be better.

But well friggin done man I love it!!! :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers, Chris

That;s a good idea…starting with the hook, would never have considered that ! the REDD plugs are great aren’t they.
reckon they’re gonna be my go to plugs from now on, thanks for listening and I think I’ll have a go at re arranging the song…Kevin

Kevin I haven’t tried in Cubase 6.5 yet, but in Cube7 I notice some noise from Redd (can see it on meter around -60db) Do you have this issue?
I find some plugs are a little noisy by design just not sure if this is way this one should be or if its just the analog thing that it puts out. Let me know what you find or hear and see on meter.

Every bit of noise adds up at end of mix so I try to watch out for that stuff :slight_smile:

wow thanks wyatt…dunno what to say, your right about the end but I like to keep things shorter rather than longer if poss but your words of encouragement help a lot, I have lots of down time when I think my stuff is rubbish and I dunno why I’m doing it…so thanks again…Kevin

wow thanks wyatt…dunno what to say, your right about the end but I like to keep things shorter rather than longer if poss but your words of encouragement help a lot, I have lots of down time when I think my stuff is rubbish and I dunno why I’m doing it…so thanks again…Kevin

No true artist is ever happy with their work :cry: if you truely contempt with your art, your’re a gonna :laughing:

hi kevin ,how did you get the phil collins sound on the kit ,it sounds great . i`ve been trying to find tutorials on how to create classic effects in a mix. Ta :mrgreen:

It’s Superior drummer (drum kit from hell) on an instrument track (not separate tracks) going through REDD 37-51 (set on 37) pre set “snare” then through AR tg12413 limiter set on heavy drum limiting (this is what’s making it all happen) plus a small amount of verb from roomworks se (smooth voice room) which is not gated…hope that helps…cheers, Kevin

so the REDD channal strip is just for tone colour is that right,and the limiting is what is creating the sound ,i`ll give it a go limiting ,i found some stuff on utube which was talking about gates and wot not ,this is how phil collins originaly did it but the limiting sounds great. do you know of any tutorials out there which deal with just classic and modern mixing effects. cheers

there’s tons of stuff all over youtube regarding mixing and wot not…just have a look around you’ll find something though I reckon it’s better to just muck about with the stuff you’ve got and make something happen, not sure if limiting with a different “limiter” will do the same job as the AR limiter, you should try an envelope shaper, thats a good way to change drum sounds, I believe Cubase has one of those on board, and yeah…REDD is for tone colour etc, good luck mate…Kevin