Sonnox Plugs - Do these work at all?

Just trying to understand: Are you really using more than 6 different plugins for spot restoration work? What can be faster than opening a plugin with a keyboard command (let’s say “n” for denoiser, “c” for declicker and “h” for dehum) and then render selection in place by opening render dialog (keyboard command “a”) and hit “enter”? You can even select automatic crossfade at the boarders of the selection…I don’t see any difference if the plugin appears in a master section or anywhere else if it is that easy to open and close it. I also don’t see any problem with previewing, as you mentioned before. As I say: Just trying to understand…
And just for the records: No problem with Sonnox plugins on 96k files here.

Regarding Sonnox Declicker … how do it work at Stereo files? With the old Mastering Edition Declicker I got problems, if the click it’s only in left or right side of the Stereomix (Stereofield was “broken” at the repairpoint) Same with Sonnox … Are these Declicker-Plugins only for Mono files?

I certainly could be. Maybe not today but at some point. I can’t be restrained as new options become available.

Hmm…so I keep trying this…and yes - creating the actual “shortcuts” is a challenge since the available letters are slim…that’s minor. Let’s move to major:

1. The appearance of that “Load Master Section Preset” dialog. Do I really have to constantly click on that everytime I want to switch plugs? That’s strike 1 - unless I can turn it off?

2. There is still no preview. Please show me how I can “hear” what the plugin is “about” to do. Rather than just have WL pipe the audio into the plugin and watch the meters move around. That’s not a preview. When I click “preview” in a plugin the RX standalone environment - RX starts the transport rolling and “pre-renders” the audio on the fly using the settings on the plugin and lets me hear what’s ABOUT to happen. WL cannot do this until it actually renders the file in place. If I do not like what I hear - I have to undo and go again repeatedly. In RX there is no undo, there is no commit until I am ready…the only thing I need to do is to click Preview…the section starts rolling…and I can sit back and adjust the parameters until I like what I hear. The plug is constantly pre- rendering while all of this is going on - changing it’s output as I tweak each control - letting me know instantly what’s about to happen when I finally decide to render. WL is not like this.

3. Finally - having to click OK on that “load master section preset” box is one thing but then when click A, I then have to click OK each time on the dialog to get the Render to happen. Then if I don’t like the rendered outcome…I have to do it all over again. It’s click hell and dialog hell…

Well - I still have issues. My files were created on the Tascam DR-100 recorder @ 24/96 and transferred to WL. They open fine, load fine and play fine in WL. But if I apply a Sonnox plug to the master section and tweak the knobs - nothing happens.

Cheers,

VP

No previewing in WaveLab? I don’t get the point. The Master Section is only about previewing. When you trigger playback (eg. F6 to only play the selection), you hear what the plugin does on your audio… you like this? Then only a key shortcut to trigger “Rendering with last settings” (ie. no dialog appears).

Concerning the necessary clicks to load presets, I recall you can have all plugins opens and only one active. With a shortcut for the On/Off button, no mouse click…

PG - this is exactly how my Sonnox issues cropped up. I select an area. I hit F6 to play the selection. I have the Sonnox Declicker active in the rack…I hear NO changes in the selected area as the audio passes thru to the plugin. What am I missing here?

I then take the same file into RX standalone, highlight the same section, active the RX Declicker, click Preview and start tweak the dials…I hear MASSIVE changes to the audio as the play head moves along. This is “preview” to me…

Trust me - I am trying to see things your way…but it’s getting more difficult as this thread gets longer :slight_smile:

Is this one set by default or do I have to set it?

Hmm…not sure I understand this one…are you saying that I should have 3 or 4 plugs in the rack and attempt to assign a shortcut to each? So that only one is active. Or should I be following Lutz’s suggestion and assign a shortcut key PER master section preset (one that would load a single specific plugin?)

Thanks!

VP

F6…

Then this is an issue you have with the Sonnox plugin (?), not a work flow issue.

“Rendering with last settings”

… needs to be assign a shortcut (Master Section commands).

.are you saying that I should have 3 or 4 plugs in the rack and attempt to assign a shortcut to each?

This is not what I mean. In the Shortcut list, there is “Switch on/off focused plug-in/slot”.
This is a single command, that affects the active plugin.

I played around with the MS shortcuts a bit and found the options fantastic.
At first I assigned numbers from 1 to 9 to the option to put the focus on plugin in slot 1 or 2 or 3 etc.
Then I assigned a shortcut to the option to switch on/off the plugin in the focus.
Then I assigned another shortcut to show/hide the plugin in the focus.
Finally I assigned a shortcut to the option to render with the last settings.
So, if you have 9 plugins in the MS you can start with switching off all plugins and hiding all plugins.
Then, if you want to use one of the 9 plugins on a certain selection you put the focus on it by pressing the corresponding shortcut (e.g. 5 on the keyboard if it is in slot 5), then you press the shortcut to show this plugin and switch it on with the switch on/off shortcut.
Together with F6 you can now easily preview the effect on the selection and if you are pleased with the settings you press the shortcut for render with last settings (if those settings where to render selection in place).
Alternatively to F6 for previweing you can also double click on any position in the time ruler to playback from this point without loosing your selection.
To me this looks all very handy and after getting comfortable with the shortcuts I can’t imagine other ways being faster.

@Lutz: good report. The kind of information that would be cool in a manual :blush:

Wow! This is great stuff. Questions…

1. Did you have to reassign any shortcuts?
  2. Where do I start - specifically “placing focus”
  3. What about this - “If you have 9 plugins in the MS you can start with switching off all plugins and hiding all plugins.”…are you just using Bypass All or a custom shortcut for this?

I want to get this going ASAP…thanks so much for the writeup…

Will report back.

Cheers!

VP

So far no shortcuts had been assigned to these options so I did not have to "re"assign but assigned the shortcuts for the first time.

All these options (and many more) are listed under the keyboard command dialog under the settings button at the bottom of the master section. You can select which shortcut to assign to “place focus on plugin in effect slot 1”, which one for “place focus on plugin in effect slot 2” etc.
Also the other options I mentioned can be found here.

You should not mix up bypass and switch on/off. I think that bypassed plugins still are included in the render process, while a switched off plugin is not included in the render.
For my test I switched off and hided all plugins one by one (you only have to do this once as you start your session), but I guess you could also make a preset (+keyboard command) with all plugins in question and switch off/hiding predefined (I am not in the studio right now, so I can’t test if switch off and hiding are remembered in a preset).

I have exactly the same problem here - RX works here too, Sonnox do not.
To be honest, until this thread appeared I had forgotten all about it & just stopped using them.
It’s like using an EQ where the gain doesn’t boost or cut - or like a compressor where you cannot change the ratio