Sorting VST3-Plugins

Is there a way to sort VST3-Plugins in Nuendos Plugin-Popup-Menu manually?

I recently installed the iZotopeRX restauration-tools, but they are not sorted into the restoration-menu. They are all listed “on top”?
For VST2’s I just created a new folder in ‘VSTplugins’, but this does not work with VST3’s…

You can’t sort them as you can VST2 plug-ins. You can however sort VST3 plug-ins by type or vendor. The type (dynamics/eq/distortion etc) is determined by the vendor.

I personally much prefer this automatic sorting as all my Waves plug-ins etc are exactly where I would expect to find them.

I wish there could be a way to manually sort the plugins in addition to the auto-sort thing.

Generally I dislike that V3 plugins are sorted automatically and V2 plugins are sorted manually, that means I have two completely different structures in the drop down menue.

I have hundreds of plugins installed, I think it is annoying how they are sorted.

Different strokes I guess. I now find it annoying I have to manually move VST2.x plug-ins into folders like Dynamics/EQ etc.

Would be nice to be able to add certain plug-ins to a “Favorites” list like you can in PT.

It would be nice if we could “favorite” plugins for quicker access.

I wish there could be a way to manually sort the plugins in addition to the auto-sort thing.

+1!

For now I guess, I have no chance to get the VST3 RX-Restauration-Plugs into the Restoration folder? So it seems to be an issue which can only be fixed by iZotope?

+1!

Can’t go wrong with a Favorites tag. Good idea!

+1

Definitely a big +1 on this, but also a large “not interested” to a favourites thing a-la Alsihad.

It would be great to have access to the tagging inside the VST3 plugins. For example, LoopMash shows up as a synth. This is wrong and confusing.

Plus, some VST3 plugins remain in the root folder (i.e. VirusTI), where I don’t want to have them.

Handling of VST2 is way more convenient.

Yes, indeed. :-/

How many of you work in multi-room facilities? There is something about walking into a room and knowing exactly where plug-ins are located rather than having them sorted at the whim of the user.

Is that an argument, actually? Most plugins are not VST3 yet, so they can be re-arrangent by any user nevertheless. The remaining VST3 plugins partially show up at illogical position. So, if you need to make a working rule for sorting the VST2, then it should be easy to add some rules for VST3 as well.

It wasn’t an argument but another point of view. I’m not sure which plug-ins you’re using but the majority of the ones we use are now VST3. With multiple rooms/workstations it’s nice knowing you can walk into one of those rooms and find the dynamics plug-ins under “Dynamics” instead of having to look around trying to find the processor you want.

For the VST2 plug-ins we have had to manually move the plug-ins into Dynamics/EQ folders etc which is not ideal as most plug-in vendors instead install their plug-ins into a single vendor folder. When keeping plug-in bundles up to date this can start to become a time consuming problem.

There is something about walking into a room and knowing exactly where plug-ins are located rather than having them sorted at the whim of the user.

I personally would trust the sorting of the studio admins more than any sorting by any vendor. I don’t think any pro colleage would sort the ‘dynamics’ under ‘tools’, I think the given menu is a very clear one (except this ‘filter’/‘eq’ diff…), so that any of my studio users should be able to do a proper sorting, which I could work with.
And, btw, using Nuendo in a multiroom-fac could also lead into different prefs, different keystrokes, different color-scheme, etc in every room, which could also be very frustrating, if there is no professional handling.

Look at my example: I now have the 6 VST3-iZotope plugins always on top of the plugin-menu, very confusing, and no chance for any solution…
I would wish the option to sort by a) vendor-name, b) VST3embedded-type, d) user-definition

And, btw, using Nuendo in a multiroom-fac could also lead into different prefs, different keystrokes, different color-scheme, etc in every room, which could also be very frustrating, if there is no professional handling.

What we do is have the user preferences handled by the OS i.e. when you log in Nuendo accesses your preferences.

If your iZotope plug-ins are not being sorted correctly then contact iZotope to correct the issue.

Or under “other” in the case of the SSL Duende Channel Strip & Buss Compressor, or no listing at all for the iZotope Restoration plugs, which are not listed under “restoration”.

If your iZotope plug-ins are not being sorted correctly then contact iZotope to correct the issue.

Already did this, of course. But now I propably have to wait for several months (until one of the next updates), until my plugs are in the place where I want them. Because the vendor is the only one who can sort the plugins on my DAW. Still sounds strange for me…

Does anyone know if one can rewrite the checksum of a VST3? The category of the plugin can be easily found with a Hex editor like Notepad++, it seems to be plain text. But the plugin will not load anymore when manipulated, probably due to a checksum mismatch.

Very good points in this thread!!

• option to manually organize VST3 plugins
  • option to edit the VST3 tag (Mathias is so right at this one - some plugins are just sorted bad (in my oppinion))
  • favorities (not really necessary but it would be nice to be able to just access the 5 go-to plugins faster - WITHOUT taking them out of their original folder)

The “multiple room” aspect makes sence - but here a customized organisation would make sence - because you can agree with the other engineers to some kind of “structure”.

I would not mind to NOT search for Waves RenVox in the dynamics folder - I would be fine if it is just in the “Waves” folder - because the Fairchild is in the Powered Plugins Folder - and NOT in the dynamics folder. If plugins are all in the “dynamics” folder it can be confuzing when they are not named well, for example you read “studio eq”. Well - which one? Waves? Oh no, they don’t have a studio eq… UAD? Oh no, here the plugins are not in this folder - lets try it out - oh! Just a Nuendo plugin, cool!". Silly example - but well…