Sorting VST3-Plugins

Well, somewhat offtopic… does anyone actually use “track-presets”?? We have tons of stuff like that, with all options on earth to tag them etc. But I never used. But Plugins you are using almost all the time. Or not? On a system with only Nuendo Plugins and maybe a Waves bundle all is fine. But in my case I still use hundreds of oldies. And free ones, new ones, classics… From Blockfish & Co to new school stuff like EpicVerb and dozends of other modern freebies, most of the stuff from PSP, Voxengo, UAD, lots of Waves, then there are those “single plugins” like Autotune and Drumagog… I can’t put them into the folder “drums” and “vox”. Having a folder “Drumagog” just for one plugin makes no sence.

I have only used track presets to migrate settings from one song to another and it seems to work fine.

The thing with me really wanting fav tagging for plugins is I always insert a plug at a time, in different orders as per my ear’s taste. I do suppose you could load a preset close to what you normally use with 2 compressors, 2 fav eqs then audition your favs then remove them from the track.

I would guess if you did this, you would have the plugs at defaults, or your normal start settings before you make the preset.

Crap, now you are making me think about being more consistent and go this route. It would save a bit of time, especially if I started being more consistent with channel layouts.

Speaking of channel layouts. Suppose you have a few tracks. In my case, for a vocal, I have the original in mono, a copy of that track, then a stereo track copy then 3 groups (2 fx and one to route them all together). That is 6 tracks if I counted correctly. You can make a preset for these tracks in one preset. When you go to load them onto something, I think the track layout has to be the same, or it will not work, or not load correctly. I don’t remember what the case is because I haven’t used presets for a real long time, but I remember issues if the track layout didn’t match the preset.

A different approach would be clip packages maybe. I started, but never finished looking into using this feature this way. IIRC, clip packages will create tracks for you, so if you have a specific channel layout and don’t want to worry about having the layout correct before you load the series of channels, you could make a clip package with empty audio events. After you load the clip package, all you then need to do is delete the empty audio then drag your audio file(s) to the correct tracks. I do not know if this will work this way. It was only an idea I had.

ch ch cheerio!

Hey, well - I am using “import/export” trackarchive for that all the time!

Say you have song 1.

You set up those 6 Voc tracks (I do quite similar) - then you record, usually you will do some kind of rough mix to integrate the vox in the song. When you are done safe the song, then select all events on those tracks, delete them - highlight those 6 tracks, export track-archive, hit “undo” (to bring the events back), close the song.

Open song 2 - import track archive, select all 6 tracks in the dialog - and voila - all 6 tracks inkl plugins, naming and routing are there.

Regarding the fave-plugins:

Well, it COULD work to use track presets (or just mixer settings) for that, but well - this will overwrite the channel all the time!

• you have a snare track with drumagog a compressor and some aux-routing. You want you fave EQ quickly as well as your go to limiter/comp. You have to dial through those dialoges till you find your plugin - loading a trackpreset would reset the track! Maybe you need the same fave-eq later on the Vox… it would be cool just to load it via the fave folder.

Maybe the fave folder could be the one on top - that way your mouse cursor is already there after you clicked into the plugin slot. Instead to navigate throw 3 folders and subfolders over 3 screens till you accidentally move the mouse wrong and you have to start again :slight_smile:)

HAH!!!

I got even a better idea!

Create a track called “fav compressors” loaded with your favorites
Create a track called “fav equalizers” loaded with your favorites

Make track presets of these or in your case, a track archive and load it when you approach mix time, after tracking.

Then alt+drag the compressor of your choice to the track you want it.

No more hunting through lists! :mrgreen:

Aaaah this is an awesome idea!! :slight_smile:)

Do you know if drag n drop will work via two different mixers?

Imagine having Fav Plugin-Tracks on track 1 and 2 - but you need an fav-eq on track 145 - dragging it will use quite more time then selecting manually in the menue… But hitting a keystroke for the “fav-plugin-trax mixer” which will pop up just in the middle of the screen is fast. I am not in front of it, but this should be possible, or not?

I don’t know, but it would be awesome if we could drag from mixer to mixer.

If it’s not the case, I suppose mixer views would have to be made to incorporate this, or you could use the input buss tracks to hold all the favorites (powered off of course) and just reveal the input tracks to access your favs.