Sound Fprge Pro 11 & Spectralayers 6

Until now I used SFP11 with SLP4 which integrate very well,
But then I bought SLP6 for the new features especially ARA integration with Cubase 10.
Sadly SLP6 did not work with SFP11 when I uninstalled SLP4. SFP11 is not aware of SLP6.
New installation of 1. SLP6 then SFP or 2. vice versa did not help.
I wondered why this didn’t work because file structures of SLP4 & 6 are very similar.
But then I found a workaround.

1. I installed SLP4, then

2. installed SFP11,

3. started SFP11 so it recognized SLP4.

4. Installed SLP6.

5. Renamed the folder “Spectralayers Pro 4.0” in “Systemdrive:\Program Files\MAGIX” to “Spectralayers Pro 4.0_off”

6. Now I made a hard link (Junction) to Spectralayers 6:
    The command is: mklink /J “Systemdrive:\Program Files\MAGIX\Spectralayers Pro 4.0”
    “Systemdrive:\Program Files\Steinberg\Spectralayes Pro 6”

7. I deleted (Don’t uninstall SLP4, because it will remove the interaction with SFP11!) “Systemdrive:\Program Files\MAGIX” to “Spectralayers Pro 4.0_off”. Actually this would not be necessary, but I like to clean my drive from unneeded stuff.

8. Start SFP11, load an audio file, mark a region and go to Tools->Edit in Spectralayers.

9. SLP6.010 opens with the selected region and exports any modifications done there properly to SFP11.

I guess this would work for SFP12 too.

Wow, that’s some creative workaround :slight_smile:

FWIW, SFP11/12 looks for the following registry key to locate SL : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MAGIX\SpectraLayers Pro (value : Location)
So you can create a fake one, with Location pointing to SL6, it should probably work this way.
It’s possible SF11/12 is also looking for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MAGIX\SpectraLayers Pro\5.0 (don’t know what they chose to implemented).

Magix is currently adding support to SF13 to locate the new key, which is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Steinberg\SpectraLayers

Haaha, For solutions I am like a badger on a hunt.
Yeah, and I looked for entries in the registry before and did not find any with relevance to this phenomenon.
I did a S&R in the registry and changed all locations from SL4 to SL6. But that did not help and SF11 still called SLP4. So I found the other solution with a junction.
Actually with SLP 4 installed there was no such entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MAGIX
However, thanks for your reply. Maybe I’ll try this later. Just for curiousity…