Sound Not Playing through my Notebook speakers /headset

still no solution. audio plays through the headset in all cases except Cubase. I would like to do some editing on a long flight coming up but cant blast music out of the computer speakers on a plane. god knows who i’ll have to fight!
anyway, is there a volume / mute setting in Cubase? the system volume has no effect on volume while playing audio with Cubase.

This is because the headphone socket and other programs that can use sound are using a different driver from the one selected in Cubase.

On your taskbar, right click on your speaker icon and select “Sounds”, then select the "Output’ tab and make sure the driver you are using in Cubase is selected as the “Default” driver for your system. You could do the same for the audio “Input” as well.

Not saying this is a fix, but maybe worth a shot.

Goodluck.

I just re-read your answer and I realize that the driver is the same except for when I plug in the headset for some reason the system doesn’t tell it to go to the headset like it does if I play a song thru windows media player or other player. AND turning up and down the system volume speaker has no effect on the volume from Cubase.
So because it’s going to the speakers from Cubase NOW, why doesn’t act like other programs where you plug in the headset? I know I could be beating a dead horse here but it just seems like it is set up properly.

I also realize it does have to be a driver issue when the system detects a plug-in on the headset output, that Cubase is not recognizing the fax something gets plugged in there with the driver I have activated. I will do some screenshots later and show you what I have just so you can see if this is properly set up or recognize the driver.
Now this is not using the zoom driver because when I switch to that it stops playing through the speakers and I assume that’s because it’s going to use the zoom to depend on output through it’s headset or speakers out line out.
I haven’t been home to hook the zoom up yet but I should be today sometime this evening. Now if that works that’s good and great, but, I still need Cubase to work standalone through my headset without the zoom in the mix, the way the other players work.
There are no special drivers for the headset it’s just an eighth inch Stereo plug.

Tweaking the audio interface

. . . Onboard soundcards cannot be recommended for the usage with our products since they do not allow working with low latencies due to missing ASIO drivers. . . .
. . .
From https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360008589880-Windows-10-How-to-set-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation-DAW-

This should help you do some more research on DAW audio in Cubase

so, are you telling me my notebook Hardware it’s not compatible with the zoom r24? Also I upgraded the zoom r24 firmware successfully. I installed the zoom r24 driver on to my notebook successfully. So what do I need to get this thing working together? I can’t open my notebook and install another piece of hardware and I’m assuming the only way for that to work is disabled The Notebook hardware and get some sort of external box. Is that what you’re saying?
But first things first. I can’t even see the zoom r24 as an external drive when I plug it in via the USB cable. I thought at least that would happen and make things a bit easier to navigate!

Okay that’s all been done now that I’ve had a chance to sit down with this thing and the computer together. But I do not even see the zoom on the computer. I thought it would be an external drive like D:> or an E:> Drive.
That hasn’t happened which I was sort of expecting.

So I think that has to work before anything else can work correct? To update the zoom firmware I had to take the memory card out of the zoom put it in the computer copy the firmware file on to that, then put it back in to the zoom hold play while I turn the unit on. It updated the driver just fine.
I’m still not seeing how to connect opening projects that are stored on the zoom through the zoom unit.

I think I outlined what I was doing and what my initial goals are for projects in an earlier post.

If you’ll read that you’ll see exactly what my goals are to start with before I get into live Studio recording with this setup.

No, it’s not part of the ASIO driven features of the device, and unrelated to using it as an audio interface in Cubase.

You need to select the audio device is Studio Setup.

I have these remote devices so far. It’s the only thing is on the list I can see that might half work. I see nothing for the zoom on the list so I think Mackie would be the closest right?
I got it connected I didn’t know on the zoom I had to set it up as a card reader. So now I can select projects off the zoom as a card reader. So I do projects on the zoom access them with Cubase and do whatever to them and it saves it back as a project on the zoom and my correct?
There may be instances where I want to keep the project on the zoom and save the Cubase project as a different project in the same folder on the zoom.
See the attached picture of my screen with the drivers and devices and let me know what you think of that.
Still I’m not getting sound through the headphones through Cubase if I play a project or song or track. It just comes out of the computer speaker.

Out of curiosity, I thought if I plugged in the headset to the zoom I would have hear output from Cubase but that didn’t happen.

never mind on seeing the Zoom. i figured it out.

Maybe I don’t understand this process, but, if Cubase 11 comes with my zoom r24 and I installed on the computer why wouldn’t it be a seamless install?

Zoom usually have a switch to go between card reader and audio interface as my L-20 does. It will not work as an audio interface if set to card reader. You have to turn off to switch over and then back on again.
Cubase is not integrated with the zoom interface. Like with any interface you need to follow the manufactures instructions on how to install the drivers. Quite easy. You just go to support on the website or directly to it in the case if zoom and scroll down your product where all the drivers and firmware are at the bottom of the product page.

Once you do that Cubase is as integrated with your interface just as much as any other that comes with a free version. They offer a free version in the hope you will want more features and upgrade.
Whatever audio interface you own you have to go to connections in Cubase and setup all the ins and out (after you have selected the zoom asio interface and not a generic interface)

thanks for your help. even though i loaded the zoom drivers (and made sure they reside with the other drivers) cubase doesnt see them. should this driver be in the cubase directory.
also if you look at my screenshots in my previous post, you can see the list of drivers its giving me. i thought I’d see the Zoom R24 driver. i got effects to work with an imported track. but, i do not have many effects to choose.
i get what you are saying. i think the LE version of Cubase is sufficient for my needs. mostly, i need to cut/paste parts of songs or add parts from other songs.
(for example, if I like the ending to one take of a song better than the other I can cut it and paste it into the ending of the song I’d like to have it in. Or if I like have feedback during a chorus of a song I can copy a previous chorus over that course if it’s the same.)
The way I do this is load both song takes on separate tracks and then I can manipulate parts from there and then I delete the track once I’m done with it.
As it is, the zoom r24 does a sufficient job with production I have some options with added production choices with Cubase, but, for the most part it’s file manipulation I need to do and then I can record with the zoom still as i have been doing.

Well again, I’ve done the download for the zoom R24 driver but I’m not getting Cubase to pick it up it’s just give me a standard set of choices for audio but not the Zoom. So much please let me know how I can point Zoom to that asio driver cuz it’s in the standard directory for sound drivers and other drivers for Windows.

as you can see, when I go to add device, these are the only choices I’m getting none of which are the
Zoom R24.
I want to add it for what I’m doing I’m not interested in MIDI or anything else with drum beats rhythms or any other types of things except for adding effects copying and pasting tracks excetera.
I guess I was hoping for more than the zoom to be just a card reader because I have a card reader that’s much handier to use and I can take with me without having to move the zoom. I’m not getting a lot of added benefits from using the Zoom as a card reader

To continue with my statement above what exactly do you mean by this statement you said? Are you saying that if I get a paid version I get a more integrated interface with the Zoom orR24 (or others)

?
This an INexpensive device I am using to put the card from the zoom into after I do recording excetera. Then once I put the card in this device, the Onn, I simply plug it into my computer and it takes the place of the zoom. I think it’s much handier than having your computer being required to connect to the zoom.
What I was doing (and may continue to do) was all my recording and somewhat limited production choices on the zoom, taking it to my computer, opening up a project with Cubase and using the files the Zoom created in their format and directories for projects.
Unless you can convince me using Cubase upgraded is a much more sophisticated set up, I see no reason to use anything more than the free version. But, I don’t see where it explains the difference between the free Cubase and upgraded versions like professional Etc.

Can you outline the benefits of having Cubase Pro, or other, versus using the free version that came with my zoom?

Not one of your screen shots shows the place where you choose the zoom asio driver. You don’t place the driver anywhere you just install it and then choose it. At present you have the asio4all driver selected. Show the screen where you select the driver to what options there are. Also do you have the zoom icon in the control panel?

As I no longer use my zoom L-20 as an audio interface if I use it for location recording I do exactly the same and take the sd card out and plug into my pc. For recording at home I use my rme Babyface pro which is hooked up to a Behringer ada8200.

There are two parts to this: 1)Control Surface and 2) Audio Interface .

1. For the control surface, you will not see the R24 in the list of Remote Devices. According to the R24 manual you should be using “Mackie Control” which according to your screenshot you are already using it. See attached from R24 manual.
    E_R24_2.pdf (610.9 KB)

2. For the audio interface please show a screen shot of your Cubase Audio (see cubase manual)
    Audio System Page

If the Zoom has an ASIO driver, use it ! To open the Audio System page, select Studio > Studio Setup and select Audio System in the Devices list. You will need to open the pull down menu on the top right to see the Zoom ASIO driver.

If you have to use ASIO4All open the ASIO4All control panel and select the proper device.
    Instruction Manual - ASIO4ALL Official Home

Then configure the Audio Connections Window
    Audio Connections Window

ok. i hope this is what you want to see. this shows no r24 driver even though i installed it.

now, if I’m in the right place this is all i can find, but, no zoom driver is selectable.

if this is the wrong screen screenshot the screen and i can find it.

Those are both the wrong screen shots.

We need to see this page

And we need to know what is in the “ASIO Driver” pull down on that page (press arrow in upper right corner)

oh. i thought “Audio System” was just a header, so, never clicked on it!
the control panel doesn’t open up with the Zoom driver nor do i get any sound output now.

also, i am not interested in any midi or sequencing etc. only interested in editing audio and listening back mostly in headphones.
i switched windows audio settings to the headset jack but no audio. same with speakers selected.
what do you think?

Now you have to go to configure the Audio Connections Window
Audio Connections Window

Doo NOT mess with windows settings (at this point)

I am doing similar things.
When I am mobile I use headphones through ASIO4All
When I am home I use an audio interface (Focusrite)
As of now I just reconfigure manually there are a lot of steps to switch back and forth.