Sound Won't Play and Elicenser Won't Recognize any HALion Licences

I posted this also in the HALion forum, but I thought I’d try here also.

I trialed the original Dorico some time ago, and I had an issue of no sound playing when I went to play my composition. I downloaded the HALion Symphonic Orchestra at the time, but when I played my composition, sound came out, but it always had the same tinny quality. I am having a similar issue now with my new trial of Dorico Pro 2. No sound is being played, but when I download and install HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3, the download and installation goes fine, but again, no sound plays. Also, the options are not available on my list of VST instruments to use, and when I try to open them, my e-licenser tells me that I don’t have the licenses for either HALions. Can someone help? I’m just trying to play my sound!

Welcome to the forum, LottieDottie. You don’t need any special licenses for HALion Sonic 3 or HALion 6 to get Dorico to play sounds: instead, you just need to install the ‘Dorico Playback 1’ and ‘Dorico Playback 2’ installers that were listed in Steinberg Download Assistant along with the Dorico Pro 2 installer. Download and install those, and then Dorico will automatically load and use them.

If you’re looking for alternative sounds that sound good while also being very easy to use, try NotePerformer. (NotePerformer isn’t a Steinberg product, but I personally recommend it very highly.)

I tried downloading playback 1&2, but the sound still will not play, and my trial time is running out. Is there something else going on?

Would you please create a simple piano project with a handful of arbitrary notes and then choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report. That creates a zip file on your desktop, please send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg de’.