Sounds dissapearing in exported file

Hello Everyone.
I 've recently moved From Nuendo 4 to Nuendo 12 and i’m experiencing an issue i’ve never encountered with the previous version.

When i export an audio from a heavy project (with several vsts and virtual instruments, mostly kontakt tracks) i get the audio exported with interrumptions in the instrument sounds. The instruments start sounding but suddenly stops as if the sample was removed. If i have a long note, it stops a second after started to play. It may sound again if the instrument repeat a note, but it randomly stops again.
Also it happens randomly (not always the same instruments, and not always in the same part)
It looks like a bad manage / shortage of RAM or pre-load of samples.

The weird thing is that inside the project, while playback, before exporting it doesn’t happen.

I don’t know if there’s something i can tweak to adjust this (i certainly don’t have much ram. 16gbs plus virtual memory in ssds). or there’s is an option that could help me to solve this issue.

With Nuendo 4 never happened. If i couldn’t manage a large quantity of vst at the same time, the app would run our of memory and crash, but never had a difference or alteration between the project and the exported file… if it could’ve be played in the playback, it could’ve be exported as it was.

EDIT: To add something important that i forgot: When i export a single VI track and import it alone in a new project it exports well. It seems that Nuendo can’t handle that much of instruments at once, but if i export them one by one in a separate project, it exports correctly.
I was pretty sure that could be related to low ram issues, but the weird thing is that i assumed that nuendo 12 could handle more VI at once (due x64 and vst3 kontakt capabilities that my nuendo 4 couldnt)

ill upload a sample later so you can hear the issue in the exported file.

Thank you in advance! Cheers and hope you can help me :slight_smile:

So to me that sounds like a problem with offline bounce. Either you aren’t in offline mode, you are in realtime mode and your system can’t handle the load, or you are in offline mode but the VIs aren’t getting the message and aren’t going in to offline mode and so aren’t able to keep up.

If you are set to realtime bounce, switch to offline and see if that works. If you are in offline, switch to realtime and see if that works. IF it does, try and switch back to offline and see if it then gets straightened out by being flipped.

Also check your VIs themselves some crappy VIs (looking at your BFD3) you have to manually set “offline mode” for, but Kontakt is not one of those, it gets told be the DAW to do offline rendering, when applicable.

The other possibility that occurs to me is how old are your VIs? Since you say you moved from Nuendo 4, which is from 2007, to version 12 are your VIs similarly old? Perhaps they don’t communicate properly with the new Nuendo regarding offline mode. If you are still on Kontakt 2, maybe it isn’t working right with Nuendo 12 and would want an upgrade.

1 Like

Hello Sycraft-w! Thank you so much for your inmediate response.

Regarding your reply, i always export in offline mode. I’ve tried to export it in realtime but with no sucess, as the process never starts (“an error ocurred” message)

To add something important that i forgot: When i export a single VI track and import it alone in a new project it exports well. It seems that Nuendo can’t handle that much of instruments at once, but if i export them one by one in a separate project, it exports correctly.
I was pretty sure that could be related to low ram issues, but the weird thing is that i assumed that nuendo 12 could handle more VI at once (due x64 and vst3 kontakt capabilities that my nuendo 4 couldnt)

I get that i may have an overloard of IV for my ram capacity, but it’s strange to me that i’m able to reproduce them in playback, but exporting them results in a bad sample.

Another update i can add with more details, is that when i open the project, sometimes i have to activate / deactivate the ASIO-Guard option to be able to playback the project, or it lags.

PD: The kontakt version i’m using is one the last ones.

Thank you so much!

That’s very odd. It for sure sounds like something is wrong with offline export. The whole idea behind “offline” mode is that it sets plugins in a mode where they access data as fast as they can. It normally means that not only do you bounce faster than realtime, but you’d never get a dropout, even if you did in realtime because the plugins can take as much time as they need to get data.

So it should work how you assume: That even if your computer is low on memory or the disk is slow and you have issues in realtime, offline should render properly. It sounds like that is broken, for some reason. I’ve never seen Kontakt have an issue with it. EastWest Play did, and BFD3 will if you don’t turn on offline mode, but Kontakt has always worked for me without issue. So something strange is going on with your setup for sure.

As for how to fix it… I’m really not sure having never encountered it. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling both Nuendo and Kontakt, see if something just got screwed up with that. Resetting preferences might also help. Kinda stabbing in the dark though, as I said I’ve never encountered this problem.

Have you tried setting the buffer size higher? That solved some issues I had with Offline Bounce in earlier days.

Oswald