Spacing gap after start repeat at beginning of system

I find Dorico adds too much space after a start repeat barline that occurs at the beginning of a system. There doesn’t seem to be a setting in Engraving Options/Spacing Gaps to control this. I would like the gap between the dots of the start repeat and the first note or accidental to be treated in the same way as the gap after an ordinary barline. Of course I can correct the spacing manually but I think automatic handling of this would be welcome.

2 Likes

At the moment, Dorico calculates the space after a start repeat barline based on the right-hand side of the dots in the middle two spaces. I guess what you’re saying is that you would like the gap between the repeat dots and whatever is to the left of the first notehead, or indeed the first notehead itself, to be smaller than the gap between the solid barline and the first rhythmic item? Would you feel that way regardless of the vertical position of the first item in the bar relative to the repeat dots?

Hi again Daniel

Hopefully the attached will better explain.

Start repeats.dorico (368.3 KB)

I don’t think the vertical position of the first object in the bar with a start repeat should have any bearing on the gap, just as it wouldn’t with a bar that starts with an ordinary barline.

Many thanks as ever,

Jeremy