Special characters and key repetition (Mac keyboards)

Hi, it’s some time I wonder if it’s possible to disable this behaviour in Dorico: when I long press any key Dorico writes a long series of the same character (which is, of course, quite a normal thing in any text editor), but here’s the problem: in all Mac keyboards I’ve used, when I long press a key which could have different “versions” the computer stops the input and prompts the series of special characters related to that “main” character together with a number to choose the desired one (this way it’s very easy and fast to write like àáâäæãåāa). This comes very useful to me, especially when I write lyrics in different languages. Unluckily, Dorico won’t stop the input while that Mac shows those special characters, so I need to finally chose the one I want and then delete the previous ones the Dorico wrote. Is there a way to set, say, repetition waiting time (like I need to press like 5 seconds to have an actual repetition), or also to completely avoid it (it also appear quite useless to me, as there is no need to write many same letters in chain in a musical score)?

Thanks for your help!

There are global Mac settings in System Preferences->Keyboard for delay and repetition but I guess you already knew that.

Jesper

Giovanni is right, Dorico does both, which doesn’t make much sense: it both shows the extra popover with the various diacritics and starts repeating the base character. I suspect it’s an anomaly in the Qt framework, as it’s likely not something the Dorico developers deliberately built in.
I tried in several contexts: in popovers for tempo, text, and dynamics, in text fields in the properties panel, and the project info window. All behave the same. Changing settings in the Mac’s general preferences makes no difference, except for the amount of delay and the repetition speed.
Schermafbeelding 2021-02-03 om 15.35.56

Yes, in fact the Mac grey popover comes out at the exact same delay as the repetition start, so whatever delay I try I get the same result.

Unfortunately this is a bug in the underlying Qt framework that Dorico relies upon. As yet their developers sadly show no sign of fixing it.

Thank you anyway, Daniel, let’s just they’ll fix it sometime!

Whilst this may be my own perverse way of working, I do prefer this behaviour to the previous behaviour where the special character popover didn’t appear at all!

I’ve become quite quick at scooting back and deleting the extra characters, and all-in-all quicker than I would be if I had to think of the other input methods for special characters on macOS, as was the case in Dorico versions before the Qt update which brought in this changed behaviour.

Yes please Qt. Not the only application that does it…