Special Education Need staves customization

Hey Everyone,
I’ve been recently involved in music teaching in public school and often I deal with students with Special Education Needs (such as dislexya and so on…).

Sometimes it is really difficult for them to jump from a system to another or to detect the exact pitch into the staff (even though pitch-dependent color/shape notehead helps in the latter case). So, I would like to request some features to be added in the future since i could not find anything in the manual:

1. The possibility to add colored cues between systems (like, the first system ends with a green cue that you’ll find at the start of the second system, then a blue cue at the end of the second system that will be identical to the star of the third and so on).

2. Staff color customization per instrument in a score.

3. Customize the color/thickness of a single line in a stave. (For the latter case: the common practice seems to be to have the central and the external lines a little bit thicker.)

For the first case, I usually go with workarounds, but it would be great to add this function as default. Would it be possible to implement in the future?

Thank you very much.

Hello André,
I am thinking of not excluding colour blind people. Coloured staves could be difficult to read, same with cues.
A more pragmatic approach could be: write the music in regular “black and white”, export to .pdf and use a highlighter to mark the important bits… I guess this would be even easier to follow.

1 Like

If it helps at all, you can change the colours of most of the music notation (if not all). Select it and open Properties and the option will be down the bottom-left.

1 Like

Hello k_b,
AFAIK about legibility, people with dyslexia really rely on color and multi sensorial stimulus when it comes to (music) reading. I’ll share some examples.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1ZE5F9gSFMgxiBJ-XnkC9j5ce_s1fTRRS

https://www.google.it/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fopenscore.cc%2Fblog%2F2017%2F6%2F14%2Fopenscore-making-sheet-music-accessible&psig=AOvVaw37NzU1r69yKbO6v9xSgvw0&ust=1714302256403000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBIQjRxqFwoTCIiO0d-f4oUDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

This is because they may have a hard time to understand in which line/space the note is. So that’s way one colors the notehead or the line of the stave. Same with cues: usually it’s difficult to jump from a system to another. Of course that would not be practical for colorblind people, I would use this system only for people who are not colorblind (meaning that I would prepare multiple version of the same music)

Right now I do exactly what you suggested: I increase the staff’s size and color the end of the system (and the correspondent next one) with a mark. Just wanted to be more efficient in some cases.

Thank you very much! Yes this is really helpfull! Specially with mutlivoice projects. Thank you.

1 Like

André, I have no experience at this area, but the great thing about music is, that it can be independent from a written or notated source. 95% your ear, your musicality, your rhythmic sense, are all more important. If people have problems with reading, why should one concentrate too much on that aspect of music making?
Still it is wonderful, for you taking so much love and effort to use music as a catalyst to help dyslexic humans.