Specify Condensing on pages

I’ve told Dorico to not condense the instruments if there are any note crossings, but I’m still getting things like this. I did put in custom condensing sections, if that matters. Is there a way to not condense specific pages, or have I done something wrong?

Welcome to the forum, jonlukemartin. No, you cannot at the moment tell Dorico when it should and should not condense, but that will become possible in a future update.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel! Is there a way to tell Dorico to not do this besides saying no note crossing is acceptable? I’ve got it set to “0” for all flows but it seems to be combining the instruments on every page regardless.

No, because the phrase start positions don’t align. Pitch crossing is only forbidden in phrases that have the same start position. The reason for this is that it would otherwise prevent Dorico from condensing dove-tailing figures where music passes between the two players with a bit of overlap.

Perfect, thanks! Good to know. Loving Dorico 3 thus far!

I’m still new to condensing (as we all are), but I believe you can prevent condensing on a system by setting a portion of that system to a different voice.

No, not necessarily; only if the voices actually overlap. Dorico doesn’t mind that you have multiple voices on the source instrument, but you cannot have two voices overlapping on the source instrument.

jonlukemartin, I’ve posted a workaround for this here:

Hi Daniel! Did this ever happen?

Sure, there are manual condensing changes that one can insert, with the benefit that just inserting and and not specifying anything tells dorico that a new phrase is starting.

1 Like

Oh look, there they are!! Sweet, thank you!

I have the following situation with condensing:
2 flutes in an orchestra are playing trill but one is natural and the other sharp.
When condensed in the conductor score there’s only one trill with no marking (obiously they will want to play the same thing…).
Is there any option to manually Decondense a mesure? in a similar way to Div. and Uni. ?

No, don’t think so. I normally change the trill appearance to the grace note-in-parenthesis-thingamabob and it condenses fine

You can use manual condensing changes for the whole system, but not for a singular measure, no.

I think you can. You can force condensing on the same voice or force opposite stems. Even for one note. But not uncondense then condense. (Of course, I know you know, it’s only for purposes of completeness)

Thanks everyone! I solved it with the grace note and it works well.