SpectraLayers One 7.0.30 upgrade to version 8

I have Nuendo 11, and it came with Spectral Layers One 7. This (Spectral Layers One 7) does not seem to match ANY of the stated upgrade paths on the sales site. The name are not clear to me. Which version on the sales site matches this? I’m trying to get 8, but don’t need to pay for the full version.

1 Like

I guess you need to buy the full version. Usually there are no upgrade paths from bundled products (like Groove Agent SE, Halion Sonic SE…).

SpectraLayers One is basically a “freebie” with Cubase 11. To my knowledge you can’t upgrade just SpectraLayers One, you need to buy an additional license for either SpectraLayers Pro or SpectraLayers Elements. You can compare editions here.

I have it bundled with Nuendo 11, and was hoping not to have to buy the full version. But… Oh well.
Looks like I’ll have to take the plunge. Thanks all.

Did you find out if you can upgrade?

The upgrade process is super confusing. Steinberg doesn’t mention anywhere, how to upgrade to another version from Spectral Layers when you have Spectral Layers 7 or 8 ONE. Also, in the Steinberg Download Assistant there is no Spectral Layers 7 or 8 ONE version. Some people claim you can just use 8 Pro to upgrade 7 One to 8 One. When you go to Spectral Layers Buy page, there is no mention for upgrade from 7 or 8 One. Then there are reports from people who experience difficulty getting Pro to work after buying an upgrade / full version after having had ONE installed. This is a real mess in my opinion. Some clarity from Steinberg would really be helpful here.

Not sure how credible this is, but I found this video that claims you can do just that - run the SpectraLayers 8 Pro update from the Steinberg Download Assistant, and it will update your SpectraLayers 7 One to Version 8. I just tried this and it works - I now have SpectraLayers One Version 8 installed (even though I downloaded the Pro installer). Do this at your own risk though. And I agree, an official statement from Steinberg as to whether this is a supported upgrade path for One would be super helpful!

I guess that makes sense … I have licenses for both Cubase 11 Pro and SpectraLayers 8 Pro. When I bought the SL8 upgrade, I activated the license, then ran the installer … and found that the SL I had from inside C11 had also gone from 7 to 8. So it looks like the executables are the same, it’s just down to whatever license you have, and it seems that when you have a license for C11, you also get SL8 (“One”) – terrible naming by the marketing department, if I might add (did you guys learn nothing from HALion One?)

1 Like