SpectraLayers 11 - History gone after saving and re-opening a project

How can I undo actions in a project after saving and re-opening it? The history panel is empty after re-opening a project.

By design - like most audio editing softwares. This also avoid project files getting too big.

Good to know. The question arose because the history is saved in RX projects.

@Robin_Lobel

You’re right! But (and this is a huge but) a lot of computers today should be able to handle huge project file sizes. 16 GB of ram is now considered low-end and now 32 GB is considered the norm and it’s the same thing with storage (where 2tb is now considered the normal).

Well, if such a feature should be implemented, I think it should be entirely optional for each individual project, maybe with a globally selectable default-setting for those who really want it or need it.
Personally, I’m glad that all the cache files are deleted automatically once I close a project, as working a lot with the various brush-tools (like Eraser) for detailed edits clutters up my drive really fast. For my kind of work a saved history would most likely be pointless. And if I want to have a backup to a certain edit point, I can do that via a copy to a new layer/group within the same project, or as a whole new project file.

I agree with Laturec; the catch file buildup could rapidly reach gargantuan levels, like several GB or even several hundreds of GB (when using the Transfer tool, which could be a buggy behaviour though).
I’m glad the catch is emptied when I close down SpectraLayers, even if SSL storage is cheap nowadays.

Yes, the cache size getting out of control is fixed with the patch coming on monday :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One feature that touches the subject would be incremental saving, like that in Cubase.

That wouldn’t punish the storage volumes as much as a saved cache/undo history, but one could still reach earlier versions of the projects that one has chosen to save at strategic moments. .