Spectrum Editor Copy Paste

One thing I wish you could do in the Spectrum Editor is draw a rectangle, ctrl-c copy, move the rectangle to the left or right constrained by holding down shift, then ctrl-v paste. Izotope, photoshop, most programs I’ve come across allow that simple intuitive method, even if they have other more sophisticated methods as well.

What can be done in WaveLab is almost that, but with additional flexibility:

• draw a rectangle
  • ctrl-c copy
  • move the edit cursor
  • ctrl-v paste

IOW, instead of doing “shift + drag”, you just have to move the edit cursor.

The advantages:

• no need to use the keyboard (shift)
  • you don’t loose your source selection, hence you can easily undo and tweak, and try again.

Thanks PG, but I only found that method recently by a lot of trial and error. In other words, not intuitive. Also it’s easier to see exactly the area that’s going to be pasted if you’re using the same frame (the rectangle) to position the paste for what you’ve copied. And the cursor is just not as easy to position as the frame. The other programs probably also have alternate methods, but still they include this standard simple intuitive method that a user expects. I’d still like to see it added. Having just worked with Izotope recently there are other things that “just work” as a user would expect from using other programs that are somehow not as clear in Wavelab. but that’s just my opinion. I’ll have to read the section in the manual, which I admit I haven’t done.

the cursor is just not as easy to position as the frame

Are you aware of these 2 methods:

• move mouse over edit cursor, press shift and drag
  • click and drag the bottom of the time ruler

The problem to implement your request, is that it conflicts to the current mode: ctrl + v should paste at cursor or frame? A solution would be to add an option, but this is not such a good solution.

The solution would be to paste at frame if the frame is moved. I don’t know if anyone is now faster using paste at cursor after having worked with it in Wavelab 9 for a while, but I think the vast majority of people would be faster and more accurate pasting at frame because that’s how they’ve been doing it for years. And it is more accurate. You really can’t see the exact area you’re pasting to by pasting at cursor.

And also, for me at least, positioning the cursor accurately for this particular function is not easy.

I think there are good reasons the other programs do it as they do.

And again, you really need to see the exact rectangular target area you’re overwriting.

Then use the mode “Source at cursor”. In that mode, you see both the source and the target. Isn’t it even better?

A thousand apologies. That’s pretty great. I should have read the manual first.

It is!