Speed issues and play mode tweaks

No matter. :laughing:
You have been such a helpful resource since the moment Dorico was released that I’m more than willing (and grateful) to give you an occasional pass.

I imagine I’ll wait until Expression Maps and supporting functions are more fully developed before I seriously attempt to use Dorico for sound production at all. And by then Dorico and Steinberg may have developed a sufficiently capable implementation of Iconica that Aria will not be necessary.

The noteperformer trial works for an hour at a time, but that’s a good heads up. Really impressed with it so far so I’ll get the full version and avoid the risk. Thanks all

Iconica’s sounds are so large that I’m afraid I expect it will take even longer to save their state than it already takes to save the HSO sounds in HSSE3.

Unfortunately Dorico can’t know whether or not you’ve changed any of the default settings in the VST instruments you’re using for playback, even when you’re using HSSE, so it has to save the state of the plug-ins when you save, otherwise it wouldn’t be guaranteed that you wouldn’t lose data when you close and reopen the score.

Thanks, Daniel. If it’s a problem that would persist and worsen with larger patches from our other libraries then it might be good to have some visual feedback for any long saves. Like a quick progress bar? As it is, things hang and the program briefly says ‘not responding’, which is disconcerting.

Daniel,
Thank you for being up front about the loading time for Iconica, but my desire for Iconica sounds was not for faster loading but for better sound quality (and perhaps variety) than HALion alone can provide.

Iconica does of course sound great in the right hands, but I think it’s also worth saying that Iconica, like all complex sample libraries, requires a good deal of manual intervention and tweaking to bring its sounds to life: simply switching to Iconica with Dorico’s default playback will not itself necessarily produce significantly better verisimilitude. But obviously in the longer term we hope to continue to enrich Dorico’s behaviours in playback to make what it produces sound better and better with less and less tweaking and manual intervention.