I realize this isn’t as much fun (not even close) as figuring out how to make one’s computer take fullest advantage of its processors… but for what it’s worth: In addition to music and post, I do a lot of audiobook production. The editing/post process for those puppies is audio janitorial at its most tedious, and there’s nothing worse than excessive, repetitive mouth clicks and glottal catches. So… iZotope RX and its plugin modules are a huge part of my toolkit (wtf won’t they bring back the Spectral Repair plugin? I’m still using v3 for that, but I digress…).
I used to run De-Click and De-Noise as realtime processes at export, but for a 10 to 20-hour audiobook it just got annoying. My “step one” these days for any potentially problematic dialog is to pre-process everything in the RX standalone app for basic, light-ish de-clicking, de-crackling [about the same level I’d be running in realtime, if I were], and sometimes even ambience matching. Obviously, I save all the originals just in case a glitch pops up, but to date I’ve never had to go back and fix anything because the RX processing messed up. They and the UAD plugins have been the biggest drag on non-realtime export (I generally spit it out with a 2048 buffer), and using mainly built-in Nuendo compression, expansion and de-ess (and in the case of triage, a Post Filter or two), the API vision and Precision Limiter, I usually get about 5x realtime from my exports. Saves a ton of time and aggravation in the long run, plus, makes the whole operation run much snappier, as those processor-intensive RX plugins can really impact realtime response, even at low buffers.
That’s a lot of yapping for a basic two cents, but there you have it…