Spitfire SSO (Symphony Orchestra) expression maps?

Actually, for complete Burgess Percussion support, you’ll want @MarcLarcher’s maps. Last I knew, his were the gold standard.

1 Like

Oh, really? @MarcLarcher where would I be able to find these maps?

Hi ! There was a thread about expression maps, with a bunch of contributions including mine. Or download directly from my Dropbox : Spitfire Percussion Joby Burgess expression maps

Hello! Thanks for this! Do I need to have NotePerformer?

What would you need NotePerformer for? You can use the .dorico file to have the whole library “at your fingertips”, then create your own endpoints and own playback templates from there. That dorico file with everything in it leaves you full freedom to use the library as you wish. You can also modify it to suit your needs. I hope I’ve understood the question…

I was under the impression that .dorico files are scores, .dorico_pt files are PBTs and .doricolib files are PMs & EMs. The only dorico_pt file I see is the Spitfire + NP file, so I’m a bit confused.

Yes, you are right. But inside the .dorico file, you have the whole library already mapped, and you can create your own endpoints according to the libraries that you own. That Spitfire+NP playback template is for me, actually… :wink: Create your own endpoints, and then create your own playback template from that .dorico file, it’s really easy and fast, since all the heavy work has already been done.

Note: The URL of my Spitfire VSTs, expression/percussion maps, and playback template is now miloonline.net/stash/vst/spitfire/.

Hi Marc, it’s been a while since we talked about this but I was curious… Does the Burgess Percussion+NotePerformer PBT work with NP4? I’m asking if I could use BBCSO Core with the Burgess Percussion in Dorico…

I realize your question was directed to @MarcLarcher but hope I can help and welcome Marc (who is much more experienced and knowledgeable than I) to comment on what I have to say.

If you use NP4 with a high quality sound library for which NotePerformer has developed a related Playback Engine (NPPE), you get the advantage of NotePerformer’s musical phrasing and ease of use along with the preferred sounds of the other library played back with specially developed expression maps along with instruments from “regular” NP for anything not included in the additional library. With either “regular” NotePerformer or a NotePerformer/NPPE combination you are still able to use other sound libraries for some instruments if you want but you will need to use expression maps develped by yourself or somebody else.

The range of libraries for which NP has developed NPPE is quite broad but still very limited compared to the huge number of libraries available. NPPE is available for both Core and Pro versions of BBCSO but not for other symphony or percussion collections by Spitfire so any expression maps for those libraries would have to come from another source.

1 Like

Mike is right. There’s no NPPE for Burgess percussion library, but you can still use it along NP4.
I find the real difference with NP4 and its playback engines is on the strings, so I like using it there. The other instruments can be handled by NP4 or any other library, the results can be very good.

1 Like

So I opened the project in Dorico 4 (using this library) and I’m getting no sound and exclamation marks… Whats going on and how do I fix it? I downloaded everything correctly I believe…

Just wondering… Do you use a M1 or M2 mac in silicon mode?

That’s a possibility. I use an M1 Mac but I haven’t learned about the different modes yet so I’m on the default mode…

Actually, Dorico was set to open in Rosetta… is this the issue?

This didn’t fix it… any ideas?

Probably the issue is that the template is made for an older version of Kontakt (Kontakt 6) rather than the current version of Kontakt. If you don’t have Kontakt 6 installed and only Kontakt 7, it will not load correctly.

This isn’t because it’s incompatible with Kontakt 7, but the template would have to be updated to load Kontakt 7 instead of 6.

Ahh, I see, let me try that!

It doesn’t have to be 6.0.0, I should clarify… any 6.x version will be fine. You can have multiple Kontakt versions installed on the same system side by side without issue as well.

It is one of the downsides of Kontakt that each time they come out with a new major version, it has a new plugin ID and is therefore seen as a completely different plugin. People who work with Kontakt for years might have to keep a whole bunch of old versions around in case they have to re-open old projects.

Okay so this fixed the exclamation marks but I still get no sound… Kontakt then tells me theres missing files in which I correct it. Then its fixed but I still have no sounds… What is the problem here?