Split at beat subdivisions problem

I have ‘split at beat subdivisions set as an option’. This is working in some parts but not others?

Any ideas?
split at beat subdivisions.png

Nothing is forced…

Are you sure the rhythms are right in the first bar?

Input as a semi tied to a dotted eighth.

Is this ccut time ? If it is not, have you tried inputting the meter as [1+1+1+1]/4 ?
If it is, I read several threads about problems like this and it seems the best solution is to add a hidden [1+1+1+1]/4 meter after the ccut meter.

Yes, cut time. Ah, ok…that is why it is not a beat subdivision… But why is it different in the other part? And is it possible to spec this for cut time. The first spelling is virtually never going to be needed.

I think it’s different in the other part because the sixteenth and the dotted eighth are not tied, but slurred…

Changing and hiding the time signature is a good fix (as is forcing the duration).

The other part is tied too. I thought it might have been the stem direction changes but it makes no difference if I make the whole bar with the same notes.

Happy to have helped you on this one :wink:

I’d still like to understand why the difference and also to know if there is a way to avoid the dodgy spelling automatically without forcing or spoofing time signatures. I’m not using Dorico for work, only to learn it well. Still re-doing everything in Finale afterwards.

You have quite a knack for making Dorico’s output look ugly, Steve. Kudos to you!

In cut time, which Dorico interprets as 2/2, there are two half (minim) beats in the bar, and Dorico is splitting up the notes within the beat. If you expect the bar to have four beat divisions, use 4/4 rather than 2/2.

I have some beautiful looking scores as well - but there’s no point sharing those. :slight_smile:
I understand 2/2, but, in the case above, that rhythmic spelling is horrible (for 2/2) and also different to the one in the top line for a reason I can’t fathom.
Using a hidden 4/4 is a perfectly good workaround, but I’m trying (at the moment) to learn Dorico properly, rather than just working round something because I can. Often, I’ll ask here and there is a proper way to do something.

Anyway, the help is appreciated!

Certainly there is scope for Dorico to have more control over the secondary levels of groupings within beats, and we have some ideas about how we could enrich its current abilities in this area in future.

I think there is a case for dotted rhythms (in 4/4 and 2/2 etc.) to have differing options. If it’s music where I have a choice I would always beam quavers in fours in 4/4 and 2/2 and sixes in 3/4, but I would want dotted-quaver semiquaver rhythms spilt into crotchets.
Even more so if some of them are tied.