Split up ties

Hello, I have a complicated arpeggio-tied-to chord situation: some ties have collisions with noteheads: is it possible to split them up to avoid note collisions? Also I try to change the position of the ties in Engrave Mode: I can select the tie and highlight the points with the trackpad, but when I try to manually move the points, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 08.09.17

In addition, in the same intro I want to get the result of the attached screenshot with half notes:

1. I created the grace note arpeggio in the left hand and then moved the notes I want to show in the right hand stave with «N» to get a beam across the staves
  2. I then input the chord also in the left hand and move notes up with «N», then I tie the grace notes to the chord
    With the chord in half notes, I get one stem for the entire chord in the left and right hand stave, but I need to stems (right hand and left hand separated): is there a way to get the result attached?
    Thanks
    Here is what I need:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 17.46.26
    Here is what I get in Dorico so far:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 18.04.02

What’s wrong with this? :

2 Likes

(much easier to read, too)

The reason you get one stem for the chord is because you entered the whole chord as… one chord, rather than two. If you would have simply entered the other half on the upper stave, or shifted it up with alt+n, rather than n alone, you will get the desired result.

Romanos, but what about the grace notes? They would get split beams.

Hi notesetter, I agree for the given example, but I have similar situations where grace note arpeggios do not have all notes in ascending order, like this one:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-31 um 19.50.40

I think I found a solution now: I noticed that I can tie notes together across different voices when selecting only the the notes to tie and press «t» in engrave mode.
Still I’m looking for ties with gaps when there are other notes in their way… Does anyone know how to do this?

In the abstract, I agree, but sometimes we have to reproduce the composer’s notation, for a critical edition or whatever.

You just need to nudge the ties in engrave mode.

The overall answer to the original question is that there isn’t currently any way to white-out the middle of a tie to let something else appear to show through. The best you can do is try to prevent collisions.

There is one, though. Engraving Options > Notes > Stems > Erase background behind stems with erasure of width: x spaces. Results in something like this:

Of course, being an Engraving Option, you can only set it for the entire project. But it’s only likely to come up in these kinds of situations anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you! That is what I was looking for!