Splitting selected notes in 2022 impossible

So better is to write note by note rather than optimize workflow.

1. recording script don’t help.
  2. dividing lengths and copying in edit mode don’t help.
  3. watching on Logic primer really don’t help. @cellicello, really wrong attitude!
  4. anything else here mentioned just don’t help. And you guys don’t read my replies to your comments. I don’t see it serious to write here about serious views.

Maybe better is to write on paper, scan and send PDFs? :smiley:

Someone please point out the R key to Mr. Neeman.

1 Like

It was just an example :smiley:
Dorico as a way to do things.
I use Dorico to write Pop music and to be able to
divide a melody written in quarter notes into eight notes is also useful.

Might very well be the best outcome for all involved in this thread.

2 Likes

Yes, of course R works. But only on one note on which you apply Halve Note Duration. I tried to record script and it works. So then I need to select each note and run recorded script. So, Mr. Derrek, in this situation when a loop needed, simple R does very little.

For those who didn’t understood why me and some silent users need this split feature. On third beat you see there are two 8th notes, but pasting copied bunch positioned on 8th even these 8th notes now are 16th and the interval for them should be 16th where the note should be duplicated.

And here I apply recorded script - 1) to every single note and 2) to selected notes.

…try to select all notes (preferably without the mouse), then Shift+R (for Repeat) , then / and finish with Enter.

Arthur is right, this feature is not available in Dorico. Here’s the workflow I could find to make things a little bit faster than his method :

1. Use Write>Halve notes duration
  2. Make sure the rhythmic grid is on 16th note
  3. Press 4 (it changes all values into 16th notes, but overall, shows 16th rests)
  4. Press q to enter qord mode
  5. Press alt while click on the first 16th note rest (just after the first note)
  6. Fill the blanks left by all notes longer than 8th notes, simply by selecting the beam and pressing r.

It’s certainly not as fast as a real split feature but it takes you quickly quite near.

1 Like

My proposition:

1. jump bar: halve note duration

2. select first note

3. start smashing R and right arrow until score looks finished

split notes

6 Likes

I like the ease of repetition of this!

Huh! Definitely a useful feature if it can be added (surely not difficult to implement?). Perhaps the correct term is “divide note duration by x”…

1 Like

I like the feature request. I loathe the tone that has pervaded this thread, and “surely not difficult to implement” helps nobody. It’s always a question of priorities, the existing development roadmap, the availability of developers with specific expertise that may be busy working on other features that only they know how to work on. Please can we steer clear of belittling their efforts.

10 Likes

Not an attempt to belittle, and the rest given as read…

1 Like

The tone?
Leo, “nothing ever happens by chance”. By this I mean some (all) previous discussions where my thoughts and ideas in right tone was totally ignored like I’m the dumb one from Eastern Europe. It happened here in forum and in Facebook chat accompanied with total arrogance. So again… NOTHING EVER HAPPENS BY CHANCE.

I have brilliant experience with VST Live team. I have no issues with WaveLab - it works for me like a charm. Also I’m almost silent in Cubase area, but Dorico - where I as programmer see things that are not normal, some are telling me that these things won’t be changed. I saw a video where giant composers talking about Dorico, it’s great, but we all know that this is marketing plan to include giants to show how product is good. In real life there are little and not so little things that disturbs me (and I know many others) to feel good with this brilliant product we love.

For four Steinberg products I am Pro user and I have the voice. I have no need to apologize for my position.

So if we are talking about tone, let’s do it in “Steinberg Lounge” category. Not here. Here I am serious. Hope you too.

Best to all. And thank you all for your time.

Arthur, it might be a language thing, but: do you like or value the friendly and helpful support of your fellow Dorico users in this forum?
In daily life - and in professional life too - friendliness and appreciation makes the world a nice place to be in. That’s my personal opinion.

3 Likes

Of course! And it was for me too until I start to explain what is wrong in Dorico. Why Cubase and WaveLab works smoothly (VST Live too), but Dorico is like an old style calculator - slow refresh, everything is so… so… I use it like a patriot of Steinberg, but I’m not happy. Better to draw notes on paper. Especially if I need to divide notes in arpeggio where are more than one type of notes as you see in my latest two videos.

So “friendliness and appreciation” is like a garnish to this business. I don’t know you, you don’t know me. We are users. I pay not only to have a tool to work with, but also to be a part of this movement and get best updates. Otherwise why we update? Drawing notes was possible in very first Dorico version and also on paper with pencil :slight_smile:

After many paid upgrades I’m asking myself do I need to upgrade anymore? No! V3.5 was the best. But I know they will add some little features and I will have some 99 euros not spent for plugins. So with all my attitude I know (and they too) that I (and everyone of us) will upgrade, right? :slight_smile: Because Dorico is the best. I don’t want to imagine how bad all the other similar programs are.

I have been told, if English is your first language (mine is not) one is used to communicate a lot “between the lines”. One rather tries to avoid being straight to the point, in case you could hurt someone with your opinion. Issues are rather suggested than demanded and so on…
So if we people (who are not mother-tongue English speakers) use this language the way we use our own language, we might easily offend the person we are talking to. Overall it is an interesting issue, especially if we are musicians at the same time and try to reach out to other people.
To Arthur: I myself am still on Dorico 4.1, waiting for a good moment to switch a notch up to 4.2. I am quite sure, your request has been heard and will be implemented at some point. Almost nobody’s wishes are been neglected by the Dorico team :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great post!

@k_b Thank you for understanding. You are good psychologist and you understand Multilanguage world.

I would like to talk in my language - one of the oldest world’s language, but I’m sure no one here will understand. I like German (studied in school), I know Russian perfectly (ou, f***), because we here were occupied by today’s aggressor. I never learned English. The knowledge came automatically by reading manuals as a programmer in many programming languages :slight_smile:

Back to the feature!
With all respect to many Steinberg teams I’m sure there should be many teams only by specific job, not everything. We now have separate programs that uses different libraries they developed with. At least Cubase, WaveLab and Dorico are different not only by category they are developed for, but also GUI and performance (speed, logic, keys, everything…) are total different. In other words how is that explainable that Cubase and WaveLab are working perfectly on my Ryzen5, but Dorico is slow? Every single click, every little task have a delay. Not big, but significant and very annoying. Writing notes in Cubase score section is faster. And this is not because of software category and how big it is, but because of libraries on which GUI is built. I’m saying this as a programmer.

When first Dorico came out, I was wondering - why they don’t update existing scoring section in Cubase? It would be the same fast as whole Cubase is. No, they built Dorico team which were going different way and use different programming libraries.

The argument that many composers don’t use Cubase features and therefore they need Dorico is not strong enough, because we all see that Cubase-like editing already is implemented in D4 and more and more situations pushes me to think again - why they don’t build modular system that could be one with separately purchasable modules - Cubase, WaveLab, Dorico, VST Live etc.? For example VST Connect is module. It uses the same graphic libraries and is the same fast as Cubase itself.

Conclusion: Splitting selected (different in length) notes in 2022 is still impossible :slight_smile:
You can do that on paper this way - imagine you have half note, you fill it and have half of half note - quarter note and draw the same right after it and repeat this until satisfaction. So simple! In programming languages (C++, C# and similar) it would be very similar:

for (n = 0; n < selected_notes.count; n++ ) {
    selected_notes[n].length = selected_notes[n].length / 2; // can be optional divider
    new_note = new Note;
    new_note.start_pos = selected_notes[n].start_pos + selected_notes[n].length;
    new_note.length = selected_notes[n].length;
}

I would say every sixth grade student could understand that you take one piece, cut in half, duplicate it, place right after the original and now have two identical pieces. And do this in loop until the end of selection.

So I really don’t understand what is here so difficult :smiley: Only five rows of code! And this won’t change or disturb any other functionality. Just add a menu item and that’s all. Yes, this is work for 10 minutes including switching on computer and running development setup. Then back to beer and leisure.

I also know how to talk to supporters and customers :wink: It’s art!

In fact it’s not about feature mentioned above. I would like to let you rethink why it is so problematic and long when there is need to fix a little thing or implement even smaller. Why we pay nice upgrade price after a year of waiting and have only few new features including the slow overall performance? Isn’t it because of the heaviness of libraries used in development? Huh?! Maybe you already were heard “we were wrong going this way” from programmers? If not, this may happen soon. I’m sure.

But for those who would like to talk with me in one of oldest languages, it would be like this:
Patiesībā man ļoti patīk diskutēt ar līdzīgiem ļaudīm šeit. Tas, ka mums ir atšķirīga mentalitāte, manuprāt, ir otršķirīgi. Tomēr, kolīdz es pārmetu augstprātību, tajā nevis saskata sevi, bet vaino mani par agresivitāti. Es saprotu, ka neviens sevi negrib vainot, bet derētu gan padomāt, kāpēc dzīvē izveidojas konfliktsituācijas. Kā jau teicu - nekad nekas nenotiek nejauši.

Artūr, vēsture ir interesanta un sniedz mums zināmu ieskatu: amerikāņu uzņēmums Avid iegādājās Sibelius Software. Tad Avid atlaida visu Sibēliusa izstrādes komandu. Vācu uzņēmums Steinberg pārņēma izstrādes komandu un ļāva viņiem izveidot jaunu programmatūru no nulles. Viņiem bija pilnīgi jauns sākums ar Doriko, un viņiem nebija nekāda sakara ar Cubase.

2 Likes