Splitting stems of two condensed voices/instruments

Thank you, @Estigy , I´m now in a hurry, so can´t really get into it, even if I wanted to, which I do. Here´s the project as it is now. It´s uncondensed, because I returned to work on it. Thank you!
1-Ulf Muller TSE27 2nd formative - Live and Let Die-final.dorico (1.4 MB)

Yeah, same thing still: Horn 2 is missing lots of dynamics, preventing Dorico from condensing them the same way it does with the other players.

But all this would eventually sort itself out - at the latest when your horn player has some eye-opening questions for you :wink:

Thank you, @Estigy ! I wrote in all dynamics that were missing. It´s still not condensing right. I included the project, again in its current state. Thank you so much for your help! I wouldn´t know what to do!
1-Ulf Muller TSE27 2nd formative - Live and Let Die-final.dorico (1.4 MB)

The score looks way better now! :slight_smile:

There are a few spots in the score where things look a bit odd when condensing is activated:

For example, bar 50 : Horn 3 is missing some dynamic symbols, and some of the "p"s in this bar are on different rhythmic positions across all horns. That’s why Dorico is currently putting the dynamics above (for horn 1) and below (for horn 3).

Page 7 puts horns 1 and 3 on completely separated staves bacause only horn 1 has a breathing mark in bar 17, and there is no other way to show that this mark only belongs to one of the two players. Remove it from horn 1 (or add it to horn 3), and they will be condensed together again.

And so on. Dorico really does a great job in condensing. Your piece is quite simple (from a condensing point of view :wink: ), so when you’re done with making sure all symbols are at the right spot, the result will be a really neat and tidy score!

As I said before, getting a good condensing result is a big part of proofreading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, I can´t believe I didn´t see all those missing dynamics. Thanks for pointing that out, again. Now I did all that, and you´ll see a screenshot before condensing and one after.

The stem are still two-directional. Hmmmmm… :smiling_face_with_tear: :drooling_face:

Also, Dorico STILL writes three staves in bar 16-18.

Bacause the dynamics are still not the same. Dorico is even puting some above the staff to show you where they are different.

My guess is that the breathing mark is not at the very same spot on both staves.
I tried both variants (deleting it and putting in into horn 3), and the condensing result was correct.

Yes, that seems to be it! Thank you! I now changed some tempo markings, and changed the breathing sign for a very short fermata, which is actually more correct. I then copied the dynamics from the first horn to all other horns by clicking on the first note in each horn, and that worked almost perfectly. Now I suppose that this copy and paste technique still holds some errors, since it does NOT work everywhere the same. Is there a foolproof way to make them all the same, as Dorico seems to demand that. Impossible, really.

1 Like

I think you are interchanging cause and effect here :wink:
Dorico does not “demand” this at all. But if they are not the same on the staves that you want condensed, Dorico has to show that there are differences.
Try to look at it the other way: If player 1 has his “f” on beat 2 und you want player 2 to reach his “f” on beat 3, you probably want Dorico to show this difference in your score, right? How else would the conductor know this :wink:

Thank you. I forgot to put a question mark behind “Is there a foolproof way to make them all the same?” So, how can I write the dynamics, fast and easy, so that they are spot on everywhere? Or do I have to fiddle around and try out? Does Dorico go by the grid, as I would expect it to do? … Ah, I think I just got the idea why the dynamic markings appear to be so different - I may have moved them in Engrave mode, and that may be a reason why the seem to be the same, but are not, right? Is there a fast way to fix this?

Moving them in engrave mode doesn’t matter, they have to be on the exact same rhythmic position, and gradual dynamics (such as Crescendo) ought to have the same duration.
The best approach is to fill them in in one instrument and then use “duplicate to staff above/below” to copy them exactly to the other staff. This is foolproof.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is done, now! Thank you @Estigy and @klafkid ! Pheeeew :sweat_smile: Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat. :santa:

1 Like