Spreading notes across piano stave in score editor

Hi everyone, I’ve just started trying to use the score editor in C6 but having a bit of trouble. I have a piano part in midi which I opened up in the score editor, I went into score settings and under the staff option selected the piano preset but the notes in my score that should be on the bass clef just remain on the treble clef and have loads of ledger lines lines under them. Is there anything I can do to make them display correctly?

Do you have only one staff in your score and you’re looking for the way to make it a system and have the notes appear in both staffs or do you have a system but all your notes are shown in the upper staff while you want them in both?
In the first case activate Split or Polyphonic staff mode under Polyphonic tab in the Staff menu of the Score settings. In the second case check the settings in the Polyphonic tab to see which voices are set to appear in every staff.

In fact, it works best if you first set it to “Split” (and “Apply”) before then changing it to Polyphonic.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, oddly now when I use the the split or polyphonic modes it does spread across both staffs but adds in a load of rests.

These are the settings I used:

This is how the score should look in sibelius:

Any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong here?

You can reduce the rests in the Staff / Main box and/or apply “Consolidate rests”. Pop piano is set at 32nd note display and 32nd rests. At left of Main box.

Select all your notes in the lower staff up to measure 34, then right-click and choose “Move to voice” and then choose the voice the notes in the upper staff belong to. Starting with measure 34 send all your upper staff notes to the voice in the lower staff in the same way.

Hi, Conman, I think the reason there are so many rests in will_m’s score is because many notes in every measure were automatically assigned to a different rather than the same voice.

will_m, try sorting your voices first (see my previous post) and see if the problem is gone.

Ah! Cheers.

Which doesn’t mean your advice is wrong, since the notes in the lower staff are eighths instead of sixteenths, so something might still need to be done to the rests or display quantize after all :slight_smile:

Many thanks, this seems to have sorted it. Is there any way of ensuring that when I write piano parts in the future that they will appear on the correct staff without me having to move them to a new voice? When I import this score into sibelius as a MIDI file I just select the piano score template and the notes are all in the correct positions.

I think you will always have to make adjustments to the way your midi parts are displayed in your score, although the amount of these adjustments will depend on complexity of your piano parts. Create an empty MIDI part, open the score editor and record something live in it with different polyphonic settings (or change them after the recording is done). See how different staff modes make your score look. Also, go to the Main tab of the Staff menu and experiment with Display quantize and Interpretation options. See what suits your piano part best and when you find the most suitable settings to your “typical” way of writing, save them as a preset. See how useful this preset turns out to be for your next piano recording e.t.c.

I think Cubase score editor is as good for transcribing homophonic or moderately polyphonic MIDI parts (especially after you set the appropriate minimum note and rest values, turn auto quantize on, consolidate rests, clean lengths and disallow overlaps) as Sibelius, where complex polyphonic stuff looks just as illegible recorded live (although my knowledge of Sibelius is very limited, I have to admit).

As for me, I actually never transcribe my midi parts for the keyboard, but rather create a separate scoring project and enter notes “manually” as I mostly do polyphonic material and I need to control precisely what happens in every voice regarding notes, rests etc.