SSD4

Got the EX version as an upgrade from 3.5, over the weekend.

What really stands out is how much better the cymbal samples are. The EX3.5 ones were lovely and smooth but way too polite to cut through in a mix.

Some of the mappings are different from the Kontakt version, which is a pain in the posterior, but on the whole well worth the $49 upgrade price.

Next I need to see how easy it is to map to my Alesis e-kit, so I can play parts live (badly) or get Paul my drummer friend to play them live (well)

This should be simple, you can assign sounds to midi note numbers, and you can set the note number per pad on your drumkit.

If the snare doesn’t sound like it’s in the way of the song then you’re well over half way there. Never try to over-engineer it or it’ll never sound right. And never ask another engineer / producer / songwriter what he thinks of the snare sound.
The guy/girl dancing to the music never notices a good sound. If it’s bad he don’t dance.

And anything is alright for a guitarist as long as the guitar’s loud. :mrgreen:

I never have. Snare opinions are offered unsolicited, willingly and enthusiastically! :smiley:

Completely off-topic, but every time I come here see the title of this topic and think: what the heck is this generation 4 Solid State Drive thing :unamused:

Reminds me about my saddest day as a live sound engineer (about 20 years ago): A “festival” of local teenager bands in the neighbour city. Approx 10 bands, no time for soundcheck since local ballet school (or whatever) had classes in the hall until 30 minutes before “the festival” started.

Now … here comes this metal group. A quick 2 minute line/gain check. They start playing. I spend 20 seconds to set up levels so every instrument can be at least heard. Start tweaking with my normal order (soloing the channels on my headphones): kick->snare->oh->bass->guitars->vocals. 15 seconds later I have just started with snare when the girfriend of the lead guitar player comes to me: “the lead guitar must be louder!”. After thinking about 2 seconds, if I should say something … I just push the lead guitar fader all the way to the top, put headphones back on and continue my business.

Haha… I have the same thought too :laughing:

Yep, me too.

LMAO

That’s brilliant and too true for comfort.

:laughing: That is bloody hilarious Dave :laughing:
Well played!