SSDs and DAWs

There’s growing choice for non-HDD storage, as can be see here: Choosing the right SSD: SATA, M.2, PCIe, and NVMe explained by JJ - YouTube

Does anyone on here use SSD via SATA or in the form of M.2, PCIe, or NVMe on their system with Cubase 8?

If so, how have you found them for performance and reliability? And do you optimize you operating system for use with SSDs or HDDs?

Thanks

I have my OS and CB8P on an SSD. This is the biggest performance boost I have seen in years (I work in IT/ software development).

I did not set up my OS (Win7) specifically as the SSD was immediately recognized. I think you can assign your page file memory too to the SSD, but with enough RAM this is not an issue for me (yet).

One thing I did, that is to have my projects, audio, docs etc on a separate drive (regular HDD) as the SSD can corrupt after a while. The transistors only live for about 500.000 operations or so… I had to reinstall my OS recently on a new drive…

So for operation software (DAW, Ms Office, OS, etc) I advise a SSD. For critical data, such as projects, recordings, docs, etc, I advise a separate drive. When using a SSD for these mission critical files, ensure that you properly back up (once a week?), especially if the PC is your money maker.

Hope this helps…

What SSD do you use?

SSDs take storage off the critical path as far as performance goes. Note that even SATAII SSDS have plenty of performance for lots of audio channels.

Windows automatically optimises for SSDs, so no need to do anything special.

Almost all my OCZ SSDs have failed after a few years. I think modern SSDs, like Samsung, Kingston, or their re-badgers, are not using the experimental controllers that OCZ were, so have better reliability.

Basically, as little as 10GB+ always spare on an SSD for OS or project use will allow it to last 100+ years before cells die, though it will be obsolete or fail due to some other reason before then.

For read-only (mostly) uses like sample libraries, only a GB need be left for the rare sample fix upgrades. Just don’t use the drive for any other file writing.

I recommend using SSDs all round, but keep the OS, projects and libraries on separate drives.

It doesn’t matter what storage technology you use, ALWAYS have everything stored in at least TWO separate locations, as any catastrophic failure on a single location WILL result in complete data loss.

I personally recommend making regular full system images of your OS drive, and mirroring your data drives.

I use a NAS drive for primary storage of data and system images, with a backup of it to an external drive the next night.

For projects, I use a file naming convention to identify all files with song-code, track-purpose and date, and keep a daily backup of all a current project’s files on the NAS, as well as an individual DVD-R or BD-R disc.

Hey hey,

I know that people already answered your question here but I will give you my opinion.
Since you are working with audio SSD is the better choice over HDD. Why you might ask? :mrgreen:
Because it does not any moving parts and thats why it makes no noise. Because it has no moving parts. There are less parts to be broken. :nerd:
When talking about reliability there is no concern as I already have worked with my current SSD’s for more than 3 years already. My only advise would be to buy one from a well known brand.

Greetings

Plus less heat, and no vibration.

When I had four WD Raptors, they output a combined 40W, requiring an extra fan, with its noise, to dissipate their heat.