Stability is here - Wavelab 9 is a winner..! + Small bug!?

So far I have had no crashes, no sign of instability.
There’s so many things done just right it seems, I really like this version, and like the fact that everything is back in the same window, montages and sound-files, all very well-organized. It’s back to WL6 in many ways, with added features, and improvements. Congratulations to all, PG and the rest of the development team, and to all the rest of us, the users, I believe there’s reason to celebrate: Wavelab is back!

But I found a bug I think, which I’m sure is easily fixed (or maybe I’m just doing things wrong): If I make a new project and try to load a vst plugin on a track or clip, nothing comes up, when I right-click in the “effects pane”. I can drag a plugin from the Master Section though, and I can open an earlier project with track/clip plugins without issues.
Another thing: If I drag a plugin inside the effects pane, and afterwords add another one, the first plugin disappears (it’s being replaced). Again I’m not certain I do it right, but it looks like a bug.

I also have a question: It’s wonderful that high quality SoX sample-rate conversion is now included in Wavelab (no need to use third party SRC anymore I think) - but do I understand it correctly, that it is only available using the resampler plugin, or are other methods possible?

So glad I got WL9

::
Mads

But I found a bug I think, which I’m sure is easily fixed (or maybe I’m just doing things wrong): If I make a new project and try to load a vst plugin on a track or clip, nothing comes up, when I right-click in the “effects pane”.

You need to click on the + button in the command bar, first. But this is right, this would be better if the effect menu would open when the window is empty.

Another thing: If I drag a plugin inside the effects pane, and afterwords add another one, the first plugin disappears (it’s being replaced). Again I’m not certain I do it right, but it looks like a bug.

Not really sure how you proceed. Can you describe a step by step procedure to come to the situation?

I also have a question: It’s wonderful that high quality SoX sample-rate conversion is now included in Wavelab (no need to use third party SRC anymore I think) - but do I understand it correctly, that it is only available using the resampler plugin, or are other methods possible?

It is also used when some implicit sample rate conversion is done. For example, when saving to a new sample rate.
Else, what other “method” do you mean?

Right, the + button solved it all ;->

Regarding SRC - yes that was exactly what I meant by another method, for me the manual is a little unclear regarding this.

My specific question is: If I render a Montage that has a sample-rate of say 96 or 48kHz, can I simply save it as a 44,1 Wave file, and SoX re-sampling algorithm is automatically used (cause was what I hoped would be possible). But there’s actually a warning (if one hover the question-mark over “sample rate” in the audio file format dialog, telling that this is for “simple conversion” - strangely it also say’s that the Resample plugin should be used, not only for SRC but also for limiting and dithering (at least the latter is wrong info). The dialog is attached here:
SRC WL9.jpg
One more question regarding SRC: If I use the Resampler plugin, is the realtime playback then at the same high standards as the render - if so I’m surprised (positively) that this is possible, not many (if any) realtime SRC offer this quality.

Mads

I’m bumping this, hoping for an answer of my questions above, regarding SRC.

I need to make sure to take advantage of the best quality WL can deliver every time, and the manual and help dialogs makes me somewhat confused about how to achieve this.

Mads

My specific question is: If I render a Montage that has a sample-rate of say 96 or 48kHz, can I simply save it as a 44,1 Wave file, and SoX re-sampling algorithm is automatically used (cause was what I hoped would be possible). But there’s actually a warning (if one hover the question-mark over “sample rate” in the audio file format dialog, telling that this is for “simple conversion” - strangely it also say’s that the Resample plugin should be used, not only for SRC but also for limiting and dithering (at least the latter is wrong info). The dialog is attached here:

Yes, the same resampling engine is used. But when you proceed with the Master Section, you can add a limiter and dithering. Which is recommended. Hence the warning you see. This limiting/dithering is never added automatically by WaveLab.

One more question regarding SRC: If I use the Resampler plugin, is the realtime playback then at the same high standards as the render - if so I’m surprised (positively) that this is possible, not many (if any) realtime SRC offer this quality.

It is the same. This resampler not only has a very high quality, but it is surprisingly fast, which make it usable almost transparently, for real time use. Moreover, WaveLab uses one core per channel to resample, to make the whole process even faster.

Just to make sure. If levels are fine and one doesn’t need dither, one gets the full quality (and the samplerate conversion is in fact not “simplified”) ?

And to be certain that I do things right: If I use the resampler plugin in the mastersection and then render, I will need to change the samplerate in the render dialog too, but it won’t be processed two times (converted again, so to speak) right?

That’s great. So is the integrated resampler in the master-section, in fact the same “best quality” SoX conversion (I’m aware it’s not processing the render-output)

Mads

Just to make sure. If levels are fine and one doesn’t need dither, one gets the full quality (and the samplerate conversion is in fact not “simplified”) ?

I don’t know what you mean with “If levels are fine”. But be aware than resampling (any resampler) can slightly change certain peaks. Hence the recommendation of using a limiter if you are dealing with audio near 0 dB. Else this is not necessary.

And to be certain that I do things right: If I use the resampler plugin in the mastersection and then render, I will need to change the samplerate in the render dialog too, but it won’t be processed two times (converted again, so to speak) right?

Right. Process happens only once.

I’m aware it’s not processing the render-output

Right, if the left most button is active (orange).

Thank you!

Mads