Staccato outside slur distance

Hello,

When the Engraving option “Articulations \ Position of Staccato […] \ Outside Slurs” is chosen, the staccato dot is often extremely close to the slur instead of being spaced further away. Is there any option that would give it a more reasonable distance without other accents moving too far away, and without needing manual adjustment?

Thanks!

You might try increasing ‘Gap between notehead and articulation’ a little bit, though of course that will also have a knock-on effect in some other circumstances.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much for the response. I tried that and it works fine when the articulations are placed at the beginning and ending of a slur but for unslurred notes the articulations are now too far from the notehead, so it doesn’t really work as a global setting. Any possibility of getting an engraving setting in a future version for “gap between articulation and slur” or something like that?

Michael

We’ll think about it, certainly. (But really you should just put your staccatos inside slurs like a good boy :slight_smile: )

Thanks! BTW, It is actually not for me - I always put my staccatos inside slurs as per Gould, but I was giving one of my professors Dorico training to help him make the switch from Finale and he wanted them outside the slurs. It surprised me a bit since I haven’t seen that before (he mostly works on commercial music / jazz arranging, he is a very well known jazz arranger actually), but it might be another classical vs. commercial thing that I hadn’t encountered yet.

I second this! How can I globally increase the distance between the staccato-dot and the slur?
gap stacc-dot

Dorico shouldn’t produce that collision by default. Can you cut down your project to just a few bars that show this collision and attach it here? My guess is that some combination of engraving options you’ve come up with is leading to this problem, and it would be interesting to know what it is.

Voluntariy - thank you for your support!
Kollision.dorico (602.1 KB)

Hi,

In Engraving options>Slurs>Avoiding collisions>Vertical position>Minimum gap inside slur curvature to avoid collisions.
Try with a value greater as 1/8 of a space (the value in your file, default is 1/2) and see wich gives the result you want.

1 Like

Solved-thank you, that was it! (No idea why my values were different…)

It is useful to look at the Library>Library Manager to see exactly where the project options differ from the defaults.

1 Like