Stacking ornaments

I am trying to notate the following ornaments from a manuscript, a turn stacked above a short trill:
The old published score also does this:
When I try to input this into Dorico though, it replaces the previous ornament input and I can only have one or the other not both.

Yes, Dorico will not allow two ornaments on the same note, not even when importing via XML. You have a few options… the easiest is probably to make a new Playing Technique and create the turn there (as a Glyph - it’s in the font range Common Ornaments). As a different kind of object, it will stack on top of the ornament automatically (by default) …

2 Likes

Does anyone know a way to do this on the iPad version of Dorico? I don’t see a way to create a Playing Technique in the docs, but maybe I’m missing it. My other thought is to add the turn to a second note and then move it in Engrave mode, but fratveno’s way sounds more better.

Welcome to the forum, Michael. I’m afraid Dorico for iPad does not at the moment include the playing techniques editor that is included in Dorico Pro on the desktop.

I’ve defined a turn-trill playing technique in the attached project: try opening it on your iPad, copying it to the clipboard, closing that project, opening your target project, and then pasting. I think/hope that will work.

turn-trill.dorico (467.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Daniel. I can’t seem to copy/paste it to a new document, but I can start with the score you sent and modify it when I need this ornament.