Staff Label for Divisi Strings

I am writing a piece that requires the upper four string sections. Violin I, Violin II, Viola, and Cello to divide into 2 staves. Right now, I have grouped the divisi staves, and I would like them to show something like
[Violin I] between the two violin 1 staves and then with each staff show 1 and 2. Kind of like the way Dorico can do it with Identical Solo Staves. The issue is, since strings are section instruments I do not know how to achieve the same result. Does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this?

In Setup mode, you should only have four section players, one for each instrument.

Then, where you want the division to change (or at the start of the piece), right-click on a staff, select Staff > Change Divisi… and then click on Add Section Player. You can then either do this for the other staves, or select the Divisi change and Alt-click the other staves (at the same rhythmic position) to duplicate the same divisions.

If, later in the piece, you want to restore unison, right-click the staff and go to Staff > Restore Unison.

string_divisi

Also note that you can condense these staves onto one staff, which may be useful if the parts are almost unison, or in rhythmic unison.

string_divisi_condense

See this article for more info:

Thanks Jester.
I know about that solution, it’s just that I do not want the articulations to spill over into each others’ staves. I use noteperformer and going that route always presents the issue of articulations from one divisi staff spilling over into the other.

To avoid that situation, you can enable IRV, which I believe stands for Independently Route Voices. This makes each voice have its own channel so their playback does not conflict with each other.

string_divisi_voices

When doing this, you should keep track of the kind of division associated with each voice. If you assign Staff (a) Upstem Voice 1 to a half-section, then if you restore unison, Staff (a) Upstem Voice 1 will still be a half-section. If you want to play a separate full-section patch, you should write this in a new voice on Staff (a).

1 Like