Staff lines and their print quality

Hello, sometimes/normally printing quality will be minor quality when printing in color ,mode, as on most printers black will result fom cmyk, means some colors will overlap and unsharpen lines. Best results always in bw mode, also exporting to pdf.

Unless you have items whose color or opacity have been edited. Changing an itemā€™s alpha channel to zero, for instance, will require color.

1 Like

Never tried to edit colors in Dorico, what makes sense with graphical items or special text color. Are there preference settings for score colors?

Thereā€™s no Preferences settingā€¦ everything prints and exports in B&W. But sometimes you might wish to color noteheads based on pitch (for educational purposes), or other color changes.

Dan, Romano is right. If you have stuff hidden using opacity (or alpha channel), you must use colour option for printing. Otherwise, the hidden objects wonā€™t be hidden anymore.

Right, I understand. All I meant to @udo_agnesens is that there are no settings in Preferences regarding default colors of score elements. Maybe a language confusion!

1 Like

Sorry, but I just talk of my experiences in preparing scores sent to me in the past in pdf, which I had to prepare for offset print. Very often I had to return scores, because the black was defined in cmyk and not as full tone color black 100%. Thatā€™s now again my question as I didnā€™t work till now with alpha channels. In case of using alpha channels and printing in ā€œcolorsā€ is the result for black 100% k or a mix of cmyk. When you send me an example I can check it with adobe. Best, Udo