Staff styles

Thanks, Daniel,
after posting my request, I’ve found a previous similar answer from you in another thread related to this topic concerning its implementation in the next major upgrade.

I can understand how this feature is difficult to realize in a “playback-related” software like Dorico (because you have to decide how the playback engine relates to this non-standard notation).
FWIK, when I posted this request some years ago, it was the first time someone asked for it, while searching the forum yesterday, I found many other composers needing this feature.
This means that Dorico is spreading all around also in the field of contemporary music and this is good because it will help to globally improve the software.

Answering other users who consider this feature as an “esthetic” and useless whim of contemporary composers locked in their zoo: as pointed out by @Coati in this post

This is not an aesthetic feature that we ask for because it’s trendy and graphically cool, on the contrary, it is strictly functional to instrumental behaviour and correct notation.
Moreover, it is a practice that has been found in contemporary music scores for at least 70 years now.
Since Dorico is a present-day notation software, it cannot ignore this type of notation (which is now historical) for long, and sooner or later it must decide how to implement it.

BTW, thumbs up for the incredible work on Dorico 4.0 and look forward to future developments.

Thanks!

1 Like