Stagger on two alternating tracks - Bug?

See my previous posts for examples of file names that have caused issues. No dashes or underscores or spaces before the last letter.

I tried the filename “Wolves of Ardeal.wav” and it worked as it should for me. So I wasnt able to recreate that.

You could try to clear any xml chunk tags in your wavs, in case you are using broadcast WAV that have tags. Not sure if that can be an issue. I was able to rule it out as an issue in my tests, but it might be worth a try. You could also post your wav that is causing issues, and I can take a closer look at it.

You could also try importing the wavs from a different folder or hard drive (just to rule out any “external factors”).

@necromorbus: Here is a video of your import issue I was trying to recreate using exactly the filenames in your video. As you can see below, it worked fine for me, which leads me to suspect that you are dealing with another issue here (not the filename issue which I described above).

Recreating your Video: https://streamable.com/d85kh1 - WORKS!

Using same filenames but add -r (dash r): https://streamable.com/iaoh0y - FAILS!

Cheers

I don’t work with broadcast wav but I do include XML from Cubase, which is where I do my processing. I tried now to strip all Metadata from the files hoping that it would fix it but still the same result.

I think you’re definitely onto something with that it involves L, R, C and S. I tried now with another set of files that funnily enough contains files ending in all these four letters. The result is that I’m getting 6x tracks: first track is with a file ending with L, second track a file ending in S, third track with a file ending in C, fourth track with a file ending in R, and the last two tracks (5-6) containing all the other files. So it definitely seems like Wavelab is splitting up the files in belief that it’s multi-channel file sets.

I can’t post any of the wavs I’m afraid, don’t think the labels would be very happy about that. :wink:

EDIT: I think I found it! It seems to be dependent on the settings for how Wavelab handles dual mono files. In Preferences>Audio Files, in the “Dual Mono File Identification”, I recently changed what I THINK might be the default setting in “Name Interpretation #1” from “-L” and “-R” to simply “L” and “R” when I was messing around a bit with dual mono files. I now changed these back to “-L” and “-R” and now my files are working as expected. If I now change the name of any of the files to include for example “-R”, it ends up on its own track. Note that this happens regardless of if the “Allow Opening of Dual Mono Files” box is ticked or not.

As a side note: Selecting any of the “Name Interpretation #5” or #6 or #7 crashes the application for me.

Sorry for the late answer on the topic.
Indeed, file suffixes used for surrounded files cause the problem.
This will be fixed in the upcoming 10.0.50 update.

Very good to hear, thank you for the update PG.

Yes, thank you. Good to hear it will be fixed soon…