Start a bend from the first of several tied notes

Hi - I’m trying to start a guitar bend from the first of two tied notes as in the attached example. I’ve tried untying the notes first but the bend moves when I retie. I’ve also tried to move it from Engrave manually but can’t seem to do that either. The bend always starts from the last of the tied notes. All help greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_20221104_200713 - Copy

You’ll need to write the tied-from and tied-to notes in two different voices, I suspect. I’ve not tried it, but I think that might work.

What’s the meaning of the notation here? If this is a unison bend then I’d expect it to be written more like this:

(The fret numbers are different in my example as I’m using a standard tuning guitar.)

1 Like

Thanks @Richard_Lanyon and @dspreadbury

I tried using different voices - it let me select the notes separately, but applying a bend to the first note didn’t show anything on the screen, even though its properties still showed it had the bend.

I like your suggestion, Richard, and I will use that. The original notation has the advantages of not dictating the speed of the unison bend and not showing the target note on the stave (assuming that other bends in the piece are also notated in that way). So if you can think of a way of achieving the original one, I’d be interested to know it. Otherwise, I will use the two note method.

There are quite a few options, really. If you don’t want to indicate the precise timing for a bend then I tend to use a grace note, e.g. this is from one of my songs:

But I like to show the target note on the notation staff, and it sounds like you do not. Another option would be to use a pre-bend or a post-bend - those are both properties of the bent note itself (set in the properties panel) rather than joining two notes together.

Thanks Richard - that’s another good way to show it. I do tend to use post bends without target notes for simple semitone or whole tone bends. If I use one in this case though, in the original example across the bar line, with a single dotted crotchet length note, I still get the outcome of the bend being shown at the very end rather than the start. (Unless I’ve misunderstood your point here.)

That’s all correct, yes.