Starting Cubase 8 from scratch - Why and How?

In some thread moderator said something like “if you migrate setting from previous versions, you may bring some old errors with them, so to truly see how new Cubase works, you should start from scratch”.

Well, question 1 is “Is that really true? Is it worth the hours i need to spend on reconfiguring everything?”

Question 2 is “How do you do that on Mac/PC?” My settings automatically copied from 7.5, where they once came from 7 and 6.5. What files should i “start from scratch” and what files can i leave as they are (key commands maybe?)

Would really appreciate some info on that matter.

What he meant is that initially installing Cubase 8 will borrow preference settings from the highest installed previous version.

If you want to start from “scratch”, you merely have to trash the Cubase 8 Preferences folder and re-launch Cubase 8. It will rebuild it’s preferences folder anew, minus imports from earlier version preferences. For safety, don’t empty the trash after doing this. Drag the old folder out of the Trash to some other safe location.

The pathway to the Cubase preferences folder on 10.8.5 is this:

Your boot HD/Users/[your name]/Library/Preferences/Cubase 8

If you can’t see your User/Library folder on 10.8.5, do the following:

Method 1
In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.
In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library
Click Go.

Method 2
Hold down the Alt (Option) key when using the Go menu. The user library folder is listed below the current user’s home directory.

Method 3
The following method makes the user library folder permanently visible.

Launch Terminal from Mac HD > Applications > Utilities.
From within Terminal type the following command and press Return:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Enter the system administrator password, if prompted, and press Return.

Close Terminal for this change to take effect.