Starting from scratch with Dorico 3.1 - best resources

I bought Dorico Pro last November as a cross-grade from Sibelius. I’ve continued to use Sibelius for the last few months, not because I don’t want to learn Dorico, but because of deadlines, and because I have no idea where to start. The manual is 1250 pages. I see some 100 Tutorials in the Dorico channel going back to early versions including V1 and V2.

Now that we are at V3.1, where is a good starting point for learning Dorico if I am starting from scratch with V3.1?

Are all the older tutorials covering Docrio V1 and V2 still relevant?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes, the existing tutorials are still relevant. I’d recommend that you start with the new video series that we’ve made to introduce Dorico SE, as this gives you a great overview of the software and is equally applicable to Dorico Pro and Elements as it is to SE, then I’d watch the videos on Setup mode, Write mode and Engrave mode on the YouTube channel. These are all referencing older versions of Dorico, but the fundamentals are still totally sound; we are planning to remake the Write mode series to cover some of the more advanced note input and editing features that we’ve added in recent versions (voice manipulation, multi-paste, explode/reduce, multi-caret input, etc.) but you’ll get a great handle on the basics by watching these videos.

Getting started with Dorico SE
Setup mode
Write mode
Engrave mode

You might also find the First steps section of the Dorico Operation Manual helpful.

And there are other resources available: worth checking the FAQ thread.

Good luck. Don’t suffer in silence: if you can’t quickly find an answer to a question you have, then post here rather than searching for hours. Somebody will be happy to help you right away.

This is from version 2.2, but still relevant: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhq2udlfq985m7b/A%20Beginner's%20Guide%20to%20Dorico.pdf?dl=0

Thanks guys! prompt and helpful! Excited to get on Dorico!
Kevin

Kcall: I have found Dan’s document especially helpful (in his post two above mine), so I would suggest being sure to click on his link.

–L3B

Thank you!