Steely Dan Anyone?

Just finished a couple of days work on a cover of one of my old favourites and thought you guys may be interested.

It’s my version of Reeling In The Years - Had a bit of fun with this. Rocked it up a bit but not too much. Hope you Steely Dan fans approve. :slight_smile:

nb. All instruments and vocals done in C7. Phil P: Vox / Guitar / Programming / Everything else. Track needs a bit of remix and a juggle to cut off some esses etc. :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/phil-pendlebury/rtyears

Please note I have a license for this. It is not for sale and will be streamed only (download not enabled) from SoundCloud.

Cheers, P.

Phil: Great cover from a great band. I tried doing this
tune myself a couple of years ago - but nowhere as great as your version.
Maybe I’ll give it another try.

Phil - Before someone else mentions this-- do you have permission to post this cover. :question:
I got in trouble here big time a couple of years ago for posting a Beatle cover, and since then
have Licensed covers with LimeWire. :wink:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

PS; Reelin in the years another great song to play live :smiley:

I assume you mean LimeLight and they clear covers to be distributed. To quote their site;

“Limelight is a one-stop online tool that allows anyone to clear cover songs quickly and easily, for one low price. Through Limelight, artists, bands, ensembles, and other groups can get mechanical licenses which allow those groups to manufacture, distribute, and sell recordings of compositions owned or controlled by a third party publisher.”

It’d be polite to message the original artist and ask if they mind you posting a cover to be posted on a site that is really not much more than an educational forum of peers sharing ideas and tips and if you were worried that you’d be hunted to the ends of the earth for doing such an act then refrain from posting. But I think any artist/composer wouldn’t object given it is difficult to get in touch with both them and the publishers, especially for such a menial matter (and there are some that actively take part on sites like Youtube and ‘favourite’ covers.)

When you say you got in trouble big time Jack, what exactly do you mean? You got sued for posting a cover on this site? Did you have it on Youtube taking in advertising revenue or offering free downloads?

I’m not familiar with the original song but I thought it sounded really good. Well done with it.

[

Yea I ment Limelight— I haven’t POSTED a “cover” here or Youtube since. :slight_smile:

PS: PHIL-- love your version of Reelin in the years.
I can tell you’ve been at it along time. :smiley:

Quoting you from your thread “I would owe for the past 40 years playing Cover songs LIVE,”

Legally it’s the venue that has to pay royalties for the bands covering songs, not the actual bands.

Jonathon: I don’t want to get into this again. :slight_smile:

Phil: Great song—sorry for Hijacking your thread :wink:

excellent rendition!

Hell yeah!

The lead guitar bites a bit… I’d soften it a bit, but otherwise its a brilliant replica. Well done! :sunglasses:

Yup that was my thoughts too. Way too bright. And there are a few other fixes required as mentioned. Will be doing that shortly. Thanks for that.

PS. I am totally aware of all the rules and laws regarding covers - I have been in this game quite a while. But that is a whole other discussion if someone would like to start a proper thread for it…

Although I should point out that I have applied for a license for this and expect it in the next few days, even though the track will never actually be sold.

So thank to the guys for bringing it back on track.

And thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

PPS. This was not done as a “replica” as such. Basically done from memory. I was not trying to be super accurate - I think that is obvious. :slight_smile:

PPPS. Done the fixes now.

Cheers.

An excellent rendition of an excellent song…now lets hear something original with the same brilliant production, musicianship and singing…Kevin

Thanks Kevin, very kind of you :slight_smile:

There is some of my original stuff already on my SoundCloud:

:slight_smile:

Interesting trivia about Recording the lead guitar part on “REELIN IN THE YEARS” 1972.
Elliott Randall, session guitarist on this song used an Ampeg SVT Bass amp
turned up to 11 with a 63 Stratocaster that had a Humbucking pickup
in the neck position. It was mic’ed with an AKG-414 :wink:

Theres a picture of it in this link

http://elliott-randall.com/2012/06/guitarist-magazine-interview-june-2012/

I always thought it was some Distortion pedal. :wink:

Jack :smiley: :slight_smile:

Thieves are losers. You and your cover suck. You’ve been reported here and elsewhere.

Great article Jack. Thanks for sharing.

I was always convinced it was Telecaster. I don’t know what put that into my head a loooong time ago.

Would have been great to be a fly on the wall to see some of that magic happening eh. :slight_smile:

You bet Phil: Interesting what one hears sometimes turns out
to be totally the opposite. :astonished: Wonder if Elliott Randall may have started a craze now
with Guitar players using Ampeg SVT Bass amps turned up to 11 and Fender Strats with
a Humbucking pickup in the neck position. :slight_smile:

PS: Phil what did you use to record your Lead Guitar Parts -
Guitar - Amp-- Mic or Amp simulator - Cubase 7 Effects etc. :question:

Only talentless thieving bums post covers. Like I said, you and your tunes suck.

The guitars: Variax in Telecaster mode. Using my own presets in Guitar Rig 5. The rhythm parts are less distorted than the solo guitars (not particularly happy with the solo sound) but all basically the same patch really with a bit of extra treatment plugin-wise. :slight_smile:

Phil: Everything seems to work great in the Track for ya with your setup.
I wouldn’t Dought Cubase is working on a Reelin in the Years Pluggin now
Modeled after a SVT Tube Bassamp turned up to 11 with a Strat.

When I first read this article I couldn’t help think about the EQ
that the engineer had to have used to get this sound also.
It really to my ears sounded like an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Distortion pedal that JIMI HENDRIX used.

I have to admit I have always been mystified by the sound on the Can’t Buy a Thrill album. And many of the follow up albums too.

And don’t forget doing this was just a bit of fun (although I have got a license for it - as I do for any covers I use - which will be sent to the moderators if they wish to see it).

I didn’t ever intend to copy the original sounds. I would have had no idea where to start with that guitar sound and your article now explains partly why. And also Fagen’s vocals - Love them or hate them - No one can sing like that.

It’s odd for me because most of my living in the past few years has come from original dance and pop stuff - remixes etc. and performing live.

So I am finding it really refreshing to go back to the studio roots for a bit.

Good talk Jack. :slight_smile: Do you have any of your stuff around to listen to?