Steinberg Download Assistant doesn't start

I’ve just bought the upgrade from Dorico 2 to Dorico 3, but Steinberg Download Assistant won’t start — so I can’t download the new Dorico version (?).

I installed the newest version of SDA and made sure my local Java version is up-to-date just in case. Here’s the error I get when I try to run SDA from the command line:

laptop:/Applications/Steinberg Download Assistant/Steinberg Download Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant 
17:10:35.552 [JavaFX Application Thread] DEBUG net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.common.FXMLLoaderFactory - resourceUrlViaSpringLoader: jar:file:/Applications/Steinberg%20Download%20Assistant/Steinberg%20Download%20Assistant.app/Contents/Java/Steinberg%20Download%20Assistant.jar!/BOOT-INF/classes!/fxml/startingscreen/StartingScreen.fxml
Exception in Preloader start method
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:48)
    at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:87)
    at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:50)
    at org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher.main(JarLauncher.java:51)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Preloader start method
    at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:899)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$154(LauncherImpl.java:182)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at javafx.scene.control.ProgressIndicator.createDefaultSkin(ProgressIndicator.java:199)
    at javafx.scene.control.Control.impl_processCSS(Control.java:872)
    at javafx.scene.Parent.impl_processCSS(Parent.java:1280)
    at javafx.scene.Parent.impl_processCSS(Parent.java:1280)
    at javafx.scene.Node.processCSS(Node.java:9058)
    at javafx.scene.Scene.doCSSPass(Scene.java:545)
    at javafx.scene.Scene.preferredSize(Scene.java:1643)
    at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_preferredSize(Scene.java:1720)
    at javafx.stage.Window$9.invalidated(Window.java:864)
    at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.markInvalid(BooleanPropertyBase.java:109)
    at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.set(BooleanPropertyBase.java:144)
    at javafx.stage.Window.setShowing(Window.java:940)
    at javafx.stage.Window.show(Window.java:955)
    at javafx.stage.Stage.show(Stage.java:259)
    at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.preloader.StartingScreen.start(StartingScreen.kt:38)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$159(LauncherImpl.java:785)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.sun.javafx.font.MacFontFinder.populateFontFileNameMap(MacFontFinder.java:99)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFullNameToFileMap(PrismFontFactory.java:1740)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFontResource(PrismFontFactory.java:469)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getSlot0Resource(LogicalFont.java:194)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getDefaultAAMode(LogicalFont.java:409)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getStrike(LogicalFont.java:413)
    at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFont.getStrike(PrismFont.java:73)
    at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.setContent(PrismTextLayout.java:138)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text.getTextLayout(Text.java:229)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text.needsFullTextLayout(Text.java:184)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text.access$200(Text.java:95)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text$2.invalidated(Text.java:389)
    at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.markInvalid(StringPropertyBase.java:109)
    at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:144)
    at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:49)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text.setText(Text.java:370)
    at javafx.scene.text.Text.<init>(Text.java:129)
    at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.ProgressIndicatorSkin.<clinit>(ProgressIndicatorSkin.java:166)
    ... 21 more
2019-09-06 17:10:36.298 Steinberg Download Assistant[1115:29293] Steinberg Download Assistant:Failed to launch JVM

Help! What can I do to make this work?

Adrian

Welcome to the forum, Adrian. I’m sorry you’re having problems getting Dorico installed. On Mac, SDA crashes are often (weirdly) caused by font problems: can you try running FontBook and eliminate any errors it complains about?

In the meantime, here are direct links to the Dorico Pro 3 installer, the Dorico Pro 3 Sounds installer, and the Dorico 3 Version History.

Thanks, Daniel! I asked Font Book to verify all my fonts, and it didn’t find any issues. Fortunately I was able to install Dorico 3 with that direct link. Much appreciated.

Adrian

Hi Daniel - this may not be your department entirely but I am having the same issue with the Download Assistant not running (Mojave 10.14.6) - I am trying to install Cunbase 11, 4 Knob piano and Dorico 2. Any help much appreciated. Derek

I couldn’t get Download Assistant to authorize when trying to install a Cubase upgrade yesterday: Upon launch, it took me to sign in to the Steinberg website, and after I signed in nothing happened. The solution was to use Brave browser instead of Safari. (I tried that after reading a forum post saying that Tor browser resolved the issue.) If you’re having a similar issue, give this a try.

Many thanks for the tip. I can download the Assistant ok, but it won’t run despite enabling it in the Privacy settings… Best D.

Sorry to hear you’re having problems, @derek10. You can download Cubase 11 and Dorico 2 directly from the Steinberg web site, but I’m afraid I can’t immediately lay my hands on a link for 4Knob Piano. I suggest you try opening a ticket with the support team for their help with that.